Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

free lunch at school, do they really need to send out flyers?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I received an envelope advertising free and reduced lunches for low income from my sons school  First off those who have their hands stuck out for freebies pretty much know how to find those resources, just look at all those on welfare.  Do they really need to send out flyers?  there are some 500 families in our district.  When you add the cost of envelopes, stamps, resources used to stuff all those envelopes and now send them.  Shouldn't that be the burden of the families seeking freebies to go and find that information at the school rather then have the school  incur another cost.  I think the free lunches should consist of nothing mote that a basic sandwich and apple and a water.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (361-368):
kaejordan
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM

That was me. I just thought that since I filled out an app last year I didn't have to do so this year. I thought same school same school district and my info n income is the same. I was wrong. I just filled out a new app yesterday. Fliers do help. Nothing wrong with that. 

Quoting mommy2boys03:

You would be surprised at how many parents believe since they got it the year before they have to fill it out again.  I do lunch duty at my kids' school and as I was leaving after the first two weeks I hear the lunch person telling kids if your parents don't put money on your account or refill out the paper work you will not get lunch tomorrow.  Also even for people that don't qualify they need something on record stating that you either don't want it or don't qualify.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM

The people who "need help" are the ones who have children they can't even afford to feed.  And I'm not talking about more freebies.

Quoting kaejordan:

You sound silly for agreeing with OP. anyone who agrees with her needs serious help. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree OP.  It's sad that the country is over-run by so many losers that the government has to provide programs to do what parents should be doing themselves.  SMH.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Absolutely!  If their parents are too lazy and/or stupid to feed them, let the parents watch them starve.

Quoting faire_jour:

Did you actually just say that you don't care about other people's kids? Are you actually saying that you are fine with children going hungry?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because it's not the responsibility of the taxpaying public to pay for your kids food.  It's the parents responsibility.  

Sorry, but I'd prefer my tax dollars to go elsewhere.  I don't care about other peoples kids. 

Quoting amberlyp:

Why are people so against a family receiving help?? I just don't get it

faire_jour
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Seriously? What is wrong with you? You just said you hope children starve. You are disgusting and I hope karma/God/whatever you believe comes back to bite you. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Absolutely!  If their parents are too lazy and/or stupid to feed them, let the parents watch them starve.

Quoting faire_jour:

Did you actually just say that you don't care about other people's kids? Are you actually saying that you are fine with children going hungry?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because it's not the responsibility of the taxpaying public to pay for your kids food.  It's the parents responsibility.  

Sorry, but I'd prefer my tax dollars to go elsewhere.  I don't care about other peoples kids. 

Quoting amberlyp:

Why are people so against a family receiving help?? I just don't get it

Danielle17T
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My sons school has everyone fill out the form at registration sense I'm not married yet (will b in a few months) we qualify for it but I still make his lunch I hated the hot lunch when I was in school! Yuck! Btw it's not the kids fault if parents can't feed them they shouldn't have to suffer because of their parents
witchybabymomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM

eye rolling

yet another B who thinks children should be punished because their families have less 

RMC007
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Do your kids eat lunch at a school that participates in the federal lunch program? If they do, then part of the their lunch is subsidized by the the government. By law, the schools have to send each child home an application for free and reduced lunch. I live in a school district where in some of our schools, no kids qualify, and in others, 90% qualify. In both cases, an application for free lunch goes home on the first day. Get over yourself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM

If it is the only meal that some of the kids get then you are saying that these children should become ill from malnutrition rather than eat. Yest there are people out there that take advantage of the program, lie on the paperwork not only for that but for other services. Most of the people that receive free school meals for their children really can't afford to give them sack lunches that abide by the school rules of nutrition. Many schools will send out information about programs when they see that a child isn't bringing what they consider a good lunch. My grandchildren receive free lunches and if it weren't for that they wouldn't be able to take lunch due to the increased cost of food. Putting food for other meals for the month plus food for lunches becomes increasingly difficult even when buying the cheapest things that you can find. So unless you know for a fact that there is a family using the system that doesn't really qualify or is defrauding the different programs then you don't know what you are talking about. They send out that information because there are people that don't know that their kids maybe able to get either the free or reduced meals. Those same people may not qualify for other assistantance. What about the kids that can't have the bread on the sandwich because they have Celiac's disease, or an apple because they are allergic so in your scenario that child would only be allowed to have water for lunch. 

Don't ever fall on hard times because then your kids won't get to eat anything but a sandwich, apple & water while the rest of the students get to eat something that is good for them. Or as close to good for them as the government has decided. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)