Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

free lunch at school, do they really need to send out flyers?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I received an envelope advertising free and reduced lunches for low income from my sons school  First off those who have their hands stuck out for freebies pretty much know how to find those resources, just look at all those on welfare.  Do they really need to send out flyers?  there are some 500 families in our district.  When you add the cost of envelopes, stamps, resources used to stuff all those envelopes and now send them.  Shouldn't that be the burden of the families seeking freebies to go and find that information at the school rather then have the school  incur another cost.  I think the free lunches should consist of nothing mote that a basic sandwich and apple and a water.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

bread, peanut butter, ham, cheese, water apples  do not break the bank if a family can't afford that there is a problem

Quoting tossed:

Yes, they do need to send out the information. Honestly, many kids go to school without eating or without enough food. Good nutrition is important for learning. While you may think people would automatically know that the service is available or that their income qualifies them for a service, that is not necessarily the case. I know a LOT of parents who were not aware that they qualified for reduced lunches. Having that little bit of extra support allowed the kids to eat better and thus, learn more.

my kid is allergic to both peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and dairy.. so what "poor" food can give him that isn't just shit?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM

If you only have a 1.67 in the bank and you are wasting time on a mom site maybe finding something that pays cash might be better suited for you

Quoting tossed:

It may not break your bank, but there are a lot of kids who go to school hungry. I have teacher friends who keep snacks in their room to help their students.

I am glad for you that it won't break your bank, but due to a life threatening illness, I had to support my sons on SSDI (no food stamps or housing) and there were times when it would have broken our bank. I was financially capable of providing for them until a life threatening illness and 15 surgeries changed that forever. As a matter of fact, I have $1.65 until my Social Security check arrives next Tuesday. My sons have now graduated, but if I had to pay for stuff for 2 lunches a day this week, I would not have been able to do so.

Quoting Anonymous:

bread, peanut butter, ham, cheese, water apples  do not break the bank if a family can't afford that there is a problem

Quoting tossed:

Yes, they do need to send out the information. Honestly, many kids go to school without eating or without enough food. Good nutrition is important for learning. While you may think people would automatically know that the service is available or that their income qualifies them for a service, that is not necessarily the case. I know a LOT of parents who were not aware that they qualified for reduced lunches. Having that little bit of extra support allowed the kids to eat better and thus, learn more.

dustinsmommy74
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Quoting tammyhunt11:

I totally agree with you. This post infuriates me. I can not believe a mother who be ok with watching another child go hungry.

Lets hope her life stays perfect forever and she never is in need!!

But if her child one day is in need of services, I will be first in line to help!

Quoting dustinsmommy74:

You are a very selfish person. Maybe one day it will be your child needing free lunch. Karma is a bitch...

And that is how it should be, and her life want be perfect forever. She is to selfish for it to be. Something will bring her down and she will have to eat those words. Just saying... Ooops, started a sentence with and, sorry grammar police!! LOL
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes they send them out. We get them every year sent out to us. But it is two pieces of paper all printed on with the stamp paid for things and stapled together. Yes they have to send out all info there is for parents. As for the food they deserve what the other kids get. Because sadly for some that is the best meal they will get all day.

EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM
If they don't have enough people sign up they will lose the funding.
tossed
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Well, miss knowitall, I am prohibited by the long term disability insurance carrier from earning any money and have already sold anything of value we have.  

Quoting Anonymous:

If you only have a 1.67 in the bank and you are wasting time on a mom site maybe finding something that pays cash might be better suited for you

Quoting tossed:

It may not break your bank, but there are a lot of kids who go to school hungry. I have teacher friends who keep snacks in their room to help their students.

I am glad for you that it won't break your bank, but due to a life threatening illness, I had to support my sons on SSDI (no food stamps or housing) and there were times when it would have broken our bank. I was financially capable of providing for them until a life threatening illness and 15 surgeries changed that forever. As a matter of fact, I have $1.65 until my Social Security check arrives next Tuesday. My sons have now graduated, but if I had to pay for stuff for 2 lunches a day this week, I would not have been able to do so.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tossed:

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM
2 moms liked this

I REALLY despise anonymous posters.  If you are going to spout this kind of crap, put YOUR OWN NAME and picture on it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Mom-does-hair
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Ours come home with the kids in the first week. No mailing. We have to fill them out whether we qualify or not. I did not 2 years ago and they kept sending them home and someone finally called me. It had to do with funding, even though on the rare occasion he gets lunch at school, we pay full price.
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Post like this make me sad for humanity.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)