Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think they're crazy. Do you?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM
  • 81 Replies
1 mom liked this

Why should a fast food worker make more than a probation/parole officer, CNA, receptionist, daycare provider... the  list goes on... 

If you don't want to be paid like a high school kid, strive for a better job. Or just get out so someone who actually wants a job can work. This striking is ridiculous. Now, I'm not completely against them, I think $9 an hour would be reasonable AFTER they put in some time, but just starting out, no. 

Hundreds of protesters across the US marched Thursday to demand higher wages for fast-food workers, forcing the closure of one McDonald's in Detroit after its employees walked out.  

The protests are underway in cities including New York, Boston and Chicago, and organizers are expecting the biggest national walkouts yet.

A McDonald's restaurant in Detroit closed Thursday morning as workers and protesters chanted "hey hey, ho ho, $7.40's got to go," outside, WJBK reports.

In New York, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn joined about 300 to 400 protesters in a march before flooding inside a McDonald's near the Empire State Building on Thursday morning. Shortly after the demonstration, however, the restaurant seemed to be operating normally and a few customers said they hadn't heard of the movement. The same was true at a McDonald's a few blocks away.

The lack of awareness among some illustrates the challenge workers face. Participating workers, who are asking for $15 an hour, still represent a tiny fraction of the industry. The federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, which works out to about $15,000 a year for full-time employees.

The movement comes amid calls from the White House, some members of Congress and economists to hike the federal minimum wage. But most proposals seek a far more modest increase than the one workers are asking for, with President Barack Obama wanting to boost it to $9 an hour.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/29/fast-food-workers-to-strike-nationwide-over-wages/#ixzz2dOqHDQZE

Smile, even if it's hard. 

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM
I completely agree. they're nuts
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I agree, they are crazy. I am a medical coder, I had to go to school, keep up with continuing education credits to keep my crudentials and I make $13 an hour. They are seriously delusional.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I have to agree with you here...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I don't think they should, I doubt they will win. I'm sure they'll piss and moan about losing food stamps when they get that $15 an hour they so dearly want.
staceysgorbach
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM
My husband was reduced to working at McDonald's for a little while after he was laid off in 09. That was not fun at all to try to raise a family on. He did just that...looked for a better job while making minimum wage. Making minumum wage for my husband was like a slap in the face considering his work experience and the amount of money he was used to making.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

They are NUTS. Hell if they get 15 an hour.......can you imagine how many  other people will be quitting other jobs to work in a fast food place, lol

NBean311
by Chivette on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

$15 an hour? I made that at my first job out of college, with an education.

You don't need an education to throw a basket of fries in some oil. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM
They're delusional.
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Yeah... no.
They dont deserve the same pay or even close.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured