Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think they're crazy. Do you?

Posted by   + Show Post

Why should a fast food worker make more than a probation/parole officer, CNA, receptionist, daycare provider... the  list goes on... 

If you don't want to be paid like a high school kid, strive for a better job. Or just get out so someone who actually wants a job can work. This striking is ridiculous. Now, I'm not completely against them, I think $9 an hour would be reasonable AFTER they put in some time, but just starting out, no. 

Hundreds of protesters across the US marched Thursday to demand higher wages for fast-food workers, forcing the closure of one McDonald's in Detroit after its employees walked out.  

The protests are underway in cities including New York, Boston and Chicago, and organizers are expecting the biggest national walkouts yet.

A McDonald's restaurant in Detroit closed Thursday morning as workers and protesters chanted "hey hey, ho ho, $7.40's got to go," outside, WJBK reports.

In New York, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn joined about 300 to 400 protesters in a march before flooding inside a McDonald's near the Empire State Building on Thursday morning. Shortly after the demonstration, however, the restaurant seemed to be operating normally and a few customers said they hadn't heard of the movement. The same was true at a McDonald's a few blocks away.

The lack of awareness among some illustrates the challenge workers face. Participating workers, who are asking for $15 an hour, still represent a tiny fraction of the industry. The federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, which works out to about $15,000 a year for full-time employees.

The movement comes amid calls from the White House, some members of Congress and economists to hike the federal minimum wage. But most proposals seek a far more modest increase than the one workers are asking for, with President Barack Obama wanting to boost it to $9 an hour.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/29/fast-food-workers-to-strike-nationwide-over-wages/#ixzz2dOqHDQZE

Smile, even if it's hard. 

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Replies (51-60):
KristiBeth8811
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Yes. But when I graduated I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life.. Like most people who are 18.. And I do know that Vet school will take time and lots of money and I have been saving for it but I haven't even come close to making a dent in one years worth of tuition with all the bills that I have to pay. I do want to better my life with a Carrer, but I have worked many fast food jobs and they aren't easy. They may not be death worthy hard but they sure as hell aren't easy.

And as popular as most fast food chains are you can make it into a carrer if you want but of all the people I have worked with at these jobs they all want better, which is why the turn over rate is so high..

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you graduate high school? No offense but it might be a while before you finish vet school.

-JellyfishEgg-
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM
I don't understand your logic. What difference will it make if their wage goes up so high if they're going to be spending more of it anyway on the cost of living anyway? It ends up being the same thing.

Quoting KristiBeth8811:

I'm sure it would. But how much has the cost of living gone up since it was raised last? That's how the economy works right?

Quoting -JellyfishEgg-:

If everyone's wages were raised wouldn't it mean that cost of living would go up as well? Would't that leave them in the same position as they're in now?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I work there and I think they're crazy lol. I started out as a crew person making min wage and I have busted my ass to work up to a salaried manager. I think if you want to make more either work your ass off moving up in the company or go to school. 

KristiBeth8811
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I never said give them the 15 an hour! That would plain stupid. I'm saying give them enough that they can better their lives, and not live paycheck to paycheck. Honestly the cost of everything went up drastically when oil became harder to get shipped here (to the US), but nothing about min. wage or even educated peoples wages changed when that happened. I wish I could find that article about how much it would be if it had gone up with productivity..

Quoting -JellyfishEgg-:

I don't understand your logic. What difference will it make if their wage goes up so high if they're going to be spending more of it anyway on the cost of living anyway? It ends up being the same thing.

Quoting KristiBeth8811:

I'm sure it would. But how much has the cost of living gone up since it was raised last? That's how the economy works right?

Quoting -JellyfishEgg-:

If everyone's wages were raised wouldn't it mean that cost of living would go up as well? Would't that leave them in the same position as they're in now?

UpstateAnnette
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. If you are UNskilled labor with no real marketable skills then you don't make much money. If you want to make more or have a better life then go get a skill.   Same thing with the Not working at all- why are we entitled to the nicer things hard working people have if you can't be bothered to work?  I understand jobs are sometimes hard to find but there are Now Hiring signs in multiple places where I live and I have a feeling that the fast food places where they are striking will soon be hiring!

BEXi
by BEXi on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm just shocked at how many people put themselves in your situation, you did if to yourself right? Nobody put a gun to your head and said "don't further your education, work in fast food"

Quoting KristiBeth8811:

Yes. But when I graduated I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life.. Like most people who are 18.. And I do know that Vet school will take time and lots of money and I have been saving for it but I haven't even come close to making a dent in one years worth of tuition with all the bills that I have to pay. I do want to better my life with a Carrer, but I have worked many fast food jobs and they aren't easy. They may not be death worthy hard but they sure as hell aren't easy.

And as popular as most fast food chains are you can make it into a carrer if you want but of all the people I have worked with at these jobs they all want better, which is why the turn over rate is so high..

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you graduate high school? No offense but it might be a while before you finish vet school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Fire them all.
UpstateAnnette
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Have you considered becoming a Vet Technician? In NY at least, I think it is a 2 year Associates degree and the pay is probably double minimum wage...that is what a friend of mine did. I met her while she was getting her BA at a state college and then she went to a more expensive University for her Vet Doc. She was working as a Vet tech. to put herself through school.
Quoting KristiBeth8811:

Quoting Anonymous:

Annette(40)Dan(hubby) Rosalynd(7/06)Jeremy(3/08) Isaac(3/10)

vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Quoting almondpigeon:

I completely agree. they're nuts

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured