Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think they're crazy. Do you?

Posted by   + Show Post

Why should a fast food worker make more than a probation/parole officer, CNA, receptionist, daycare provider... the  list goes on... 

If you don't want to be paid like a high school kid, strive for a better job. Or just get out so someone who actually wants a job can work. This striking is ridiculous. Now, I'm not completely against them, I think $9 an hour would be reasonable AFTER they put in some time, but just starting out, no. 

Hundreds of protesters across the US marched Thursday to demand higher wages for fast-food workers, forcing the closure of one McDonald's in Detroit after its employees walked out.  

The protests are underway in cities including New York, Boston and Chicago, and organizers are expecting the biggest national walkouts yet.

A McDonald's restaurant in Detroit closed Thursday morning as workers and protesters chanted "hey hey, ho ho, $7.40's got to go," outside, WJBK reports.

In New York, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn joined about 300 to 400 protesters in a march before flooding inside a McDonald's near the Empire State Building on Thursday morning. Shortly after the demonstration, however, the restaurant seemed to be operating normally and a few customers said they hadn't heard of the movement. The same was true at a McDonald's a few blocks away.

The lack of awareness among some illustrates the challenge workers face. Participating workers, who are asking for $15 an hour, still represent a tiny fraction of the industry. The federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, which works out to about $15,000 a year for full-time employees.

The movement comes amid calls from the White House, some members of Congress and economists to hike the federal minimum wage. But most proposals seek a far more modest increase than the one workers are asking for, with President Barack Obama wanting to boost it to $9 an hour.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/29/fast-food-workers-to-strike-nationwide-over-wages/#ixzz2dOqHDQZE

Smile, even if it's hard. 

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

My husband is a welder and makes 12 here (other areas might be hire but this is a small town), I don't think a fast food worker who doesn't work as hard or as long should make more then my hubby! 

BEXi
by BEXi on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Minimum wage is a joke- but if you want better, there ARE ways to find it.

I dont have a college degree, but I make good money for what I do. With hourly and tips, I average around $16-17 an hour. I work in a restaurant.

3girlskdpreno
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

So many ppl on here like to tun their mouths like they know it all and its sad! I know lots of people that had gotten educations but couldnt get jobs and did McD's BK Wendys etc.  In also have a friend who did six years of school and right after graduation husband past away and she was left with a new born all by herself and b4 she could get a job as the doc she is now she had to work at one too! So who the hell are you to stereotype these people without knowing the whole story? I guess y'all are perfect?!

3girlskdpreno
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I also know ppl that have other full time jobs and still need second to get by and they can get hours they need at this place but money blows! 

Zeamays
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I think its perfectly reasonable for them to ask for it. For anyone to say that they just need to get a better job or an education is really saying that they have no clue how it is in America anymore. The crap wage that is our minimum needs to go up. Yes cost of food will go up. By a measly 1 or 2%, so you pay an extra 12 cents. OH NO TEH HORRORS! For those companies to be crying about how they can't afford it here while they pile on record profits is bull. It wouldn't cause more problems, and in fact could help prop up a slowly recovering economy where the most jobs opening right now are entry level jobs. It isn't unreasonable for the people working these jobs to want a better wage so they can live better. Having these sort of jobs is no longer a matter of people being unskilled or uneducated. Its a matter of those jobs being all thats really available in many areas regardless of if the person is in high school or has a doctorate.

Or not, and keep sneering down at the lowly plebians working menial labor while you fan yourselves in your ivory towers.

lexiloo714
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

that's insane

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
LilliesValley
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I see nothing wrong with wanting to get a better wage. I think there are other jobs you could get, but sometimes getting the education and training for those is just not possible. I also realize that with this economy some people are willing to take whatever job they need to make ends meet. Bad luck can happen after you have kids. I would certainly like to see higher pay than someone only working one shitty job and being on pa. I think there is just more to it. Yes, ideally you would work hard and not settle for a fast food job, but sometimes shit happens and this is the best you got. There is nothing wrong with them trying and don't foget thousands did this in the early 1900's and it actually did improve working conditions and pay to a degree. It doesn't hurt to try.

Uhura
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I think $15 is a bit much, do they deserve more? Sure. Not that much, though.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I am a CNA and I earn over $20/hr. And no I don't believe fast food workers should be making a ton of money! If you want to make descent money, go to school and learn how to do something!! Any person with 2 brain cells can flip burgers and cook french fries!! Geesh!!

LilliesValley
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Not being snarky but you mean higher as in more of an amount, verses hire for a job.

Welders here make shit more money than that starting too btw $18-20 starting. I think I'd think about moving unless all jobs in a 50 mile radius or so paid the same.

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband is a welder and makes 12 here (other areas might be hire but this is a small town), I don't think a fast food worker who doesn't work as hard or as long should make more then my hubby! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN