Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My unpopular but just view on the noncustodial parent filing a child as a dependent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 96 Replies
2 moms liked this
I know this is a controversial subject but this is how it should be. As long as the non custodial parent provides the court ordered child support he/she should be able to claim the child(ren) as dependents every other year, it should alternate with the custodial parent. The non custodial shouldn't have to have permission from the custodial parent since then it is solely up to the custodial parent. The court should make it as a alternating thing (as long as child support is being paid), the child is still a dependent to the non custodial parent since they are paying child support. This should be made into the child support order, an agreement. BOTH are taking care of the child(ren) so both should be able to file the child(ren). No I am not a step parent, I myself have a daughter with my ex and I have to give him permission to file my daughter. I believe what I posted, my daughters father's child support order should have included his right to claim her as a dependent every other year. We both are paying to raise her so we both should be able to file. This is a flaw in the system that should be fixed. I know a few bitter old hags will only see the title and become keyboard warriors but maybe a few educated women will actually read it and understand what I mean.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixtlisMomme
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:57 AM
2 moms liked this
I understand, but in my case my dd only spends 5 percent of the time with her dad so why should he be able to claim her aaaaaa no.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM
This is how the order is written for my stepchildren. I don't understand. Is this not normal?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:02 AM
It is only written if you bring it up, I think it should be brought up with every child support case when it is being established personally. I am currently trying to amend ours so that I no longer have to deal with signing papers and calls in order for him to claim his own daughter. That is crazy.
Quoting Anonymous:

This is how the order is written for my stepchildren. I don't understand. Is this not normal?

TexasGirl90
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Sd's BM refuses to let DH claim sd. But she's let her mom claim her once and her husband claim her when he was still her bf. she's a lovely lady........
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Yeah we were suppose to be able to claim the kids every other year, that has never happened. Stupid ex would always file quickly (since she wasn't employed) and say "ooops I forgot". We finally just gave up. Only two more years and we will never have to deal with the bitchy ex again. 

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I get what you mean, but sometimes the support awarded is a joke. I should find the paperwork and send a pic. My ex was ordered to pay $110 a month for 3 children. He quit a decent paying job and took on a part time job at McDonald's so he wouldn't have to pay the initial $450 that was ordered.

He also has not ever paid child support (other than a measly $2.30). My dh is in the process of adopting the kids, which is why the ex sent the $2.30 because he wanted to show that he was "making child support payments" for the kids.

In your case and several others, I can see how it would work out. I have actually seen a lot of cases of parents either splitting or taking turns claiming the kids. Obviously (and you even noted this), it isn't always the case.

pregnant

PoplarGrove
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I'm a custodial parent and I agree with you.  I think it's bullshit that my exhusband can't use our children who he pays a lot of chidl support for as dependants on his taxes.  He's paying for them but isn't allowed to write off child support off his income. My income is very low (I'm a student right now) and there is no benefit to me writing off the children.  (In Canada the non-custodial parent isn't allowed to write off the children even if the custodial parent can't use the write off)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:07 AM
My point is this: financially wise you both are supposed to contribute 50% to your childs upbringing so why shouldn't he be able to file *financially*? IF he is paying child support obviously, otherwise he is not contributing financially so he shouldn't be able to.
Quoting MixtlisMomme:

I understand, but in my case my dd only spends 5 percent of the time with her dad so why should he be able to claim her aaaaaa no.

3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:11 AM

My ex gets to claim our son EVERY year, even though I was listed as the custodial parent up until a few months ago. And he doesn't pay child support. But he pays for his medical benefits which are several hundred dollars a month, so I am okay with that. Plus I have two other kids to claim with my husband now.

KayelynnsMama
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I agree. My mom and dad always did one each year, and would just switch children every year. That's also what DH does with his kid's mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured