Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Dogs May Have Saved Two Lives Today...Yes, I'm going to brag a little...***UPDATE***

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 101 Replies
12 moms liked this

My husband and I hunt rabbits from time to time and we have two blood hounds. My hound is named Hope and his is named Charlie. They are both wonderful dogs, extremely loving and loyal. They may not be the brightest crayons in the box but their sweetness makes up for it. My neighbor and I are very close friends. Her three kids and my three kids have practically grown up together. The kids love playing hide and seek with Hope and Charlie in our barn and the dogs, of course, always win. You can't fool a blood hound's nose. They can track over water and over any terrain.

Anyway my kids and her kids got home from school and her 14 year old son decided to go for a walk around the block and his 6 year old brother asked to go along. They left at 3:00pm and she shows up on my front porch at about 7:20pm asking if I will babysit her toddler so she can go drive around and look for the kids. They were gone too long and she was really worried. I watched her toddler for about an hour and she came back frantic. The kids weren't on the road anywhere. I told her to call the police but she is reluctant because she is going through an ugly divorce. Her soon to be ex doesn't want their kids but he doesn't want her to have them (this is not coming from her. I have talked to him. This is what he told me). He is an asshole and is trying to say that she is an unfit mother (she is not) so that he gets their kids. If he gets them, his mother will end up with them most of the time because he lives with her and he isn't going to take care of them. She was afraid to call the police (she would if she had to) because she didn't want her ex finding out and using it against her. She wanted me to go help her look and I said that I had a better idea.

I got Charlie and Hope and took them outside. My friend brought something from her boys' clothes hampers for the dogs to sniff (they both know their scents but having a recent scent sample helps). I had never tried this but they do play hide and seek with the kids so I was hoping they would help. I took them to the driveway, where the kids were last seen, and let them off the leash. I got on my bike (she watched the kids) and followed. Our neighborhood is one giant circle. It is roughly two miles to get all the way around. On our side of the neighborhood is, there is a street visible from my backyard, a Subway, a ridiculously over-priced petstore (seriously, the brand of dog food we buy for $17 for a 20lb bag at WalMart costs $23 there), a gas station, and a laundromat. On the other side, there are woods. I followed the dogs to the edge of the woods and then had to get off the bike because they were heading into the trees. It was dark and the trees were dense so I lost sight of the dogs.

After I wandered for a minute, I heard Hope's loud bay and then Charlie's (yes, I can tell the difference in my dogs' barks). Hope was with Danny (the 6yo), who was crying. She was licking his face and he was hugging her. I asked him where is brother was and he pointed to the steep hill about 8 yards away. I walked over to the top of the hill and looked down with my flashlight and saw Sammy (14) laying down at the bottom of the hill, Charlie licking his face. I called my friend and then I called 911 and made sure that Danny was ok and left him with Hope. I started carefully down the hill to see if he was ok. His head was bleeding and he was unconcious. He was scraped up and I couldn't get him to open his eyes. Charlie was licking the head wound.

My husband was home by now so my friend met the ambulance at the edge of the woods and followed the paramedics. I didn't know this but Hope left Danny and she ran to the edge of the woods and led my friend and the paramedics to us. My friend went to the hospital with Sammy and I drove her car with Danny home to drop off Danny and the dogs with my husband and then I went to the hospital with my friend.

Sammy has a concussion and 5 stitches in his forehead, 2 in the back of his hand, 3 in his arm, and 4 in his chin. He came to in the ambulance and was very foggy. He didn't seem to know what was happening. His mother talked to him and kept him awake in the ambulance. Once he was a little more lucid, he told his mother that he saw his friend's cat at the edge of the woods. His friend's cat was missing and she was very upset so he thought he would be nice and catch her kitty for her. The cat ran from him and he chased him. He told Danny to stay on the curb but he followed anyway. The cat ran down the hill and Sammy tried to follow, slipped, and fell. Danny was scared. He didn't know how to get back to the street and he was worried about his brother. He wasn't allowed to talk to strangers so he couldn't go get an adult (his words. He would not have gotten in trouble. He is too young to understand that emergencies are exceptions to the rules). Poor baby.

They are keeping Sammy overnight so we are keeping Danny and the baby so his mother can stay with him. She reluctantly called her ex and he is pissed. He is acting like it is her fault. Asshole! Of course, he is isn't so concerned that he is bothering to go see his son in the hospital or to get his other two kids so that his ex wife can stay with their son. And she is the unfit parent. But I digress. That's another post.

My friend said that, when Sammy is released, she is going to cook a steak dinner for us and the dogs. I'm just glad that we were able to help. I don't think I did anything. It was all Hope and Charlie. I am so proud of them.

***UPDATE***

Sammy is home from the hospital and he is doing fine, watching TV and playing video games. The other two kids went home too and they are going to have a cook out for us tonight. The stupid cat finally found it's way home this morning. This is all the stupid cat's fault.

Her Asshole ex still hasn't so much as asked how his kids are but he did call to inform her that his divorce lawyer thinks he has a good chance of getting the kids because of this. Personally, I don't think he has a case and my husband and I both witnessed him say that he doesn't really want the kids, he just doesn't want her to have them. I wonder how much is costs to hire a hit man.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kde216
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM
:) I'm so happy this story ended the way it did
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM

That is wonderful that you and your dogs were able to find the children.

daughteroftruth
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

awe, good dogs!  Its nice to hear a good doggy post in the midst of all the bad ones we hear!!  Glad the boys are okay.  Poor little boy though, I bet he was scared out of his mind. =(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

That is awesome

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM
awww hope hes ok
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM
This is so sweet. Your pups are heroes!

Bonnie_
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:01 AM

That's a great story!!!    What sweet puppies you have!!!

loveablej
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Very glad they were found safe. You and the dogs are their heros.
Xo.LOVES.Xo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this
That is awesome! The doggies deserve a nice big treat!!
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Thank God for dogs!  I hope Sammy makes a full recovery, and Danny isn't too traumatized.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN