Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did Cop Who Punched 'Pregnant' Woman Use Too Much Force?

Posted by   + Show Post

by Rebecca Stokes

arrests, pregnant woman arrestedThe police have issued a statement regarding their recent controversial arrest of a 16-year-old teen boy and his 21-year-old sister, Brenda Hardaway, who claims to be pregnant. The story garnered public notice when a video was released of the sister being arrested with what appears to be an undue amount of violence. In the video, she tells the officer she is pregnant as he attempts to cuff her. Eventually, the officer punches her in the head and moves her forcibly to the ground. The Rochester Police argue this claim, saying that their officers acted with "tremendous restraint."

The reason the officers gave for their arrest tactics? They claim that the pregnant woman had pointed a can of pepper spray at them. However, if that is indeed what took place, it wasn't captured on the video which later made its way to YouTube.

Police officers find themselves in high-risk situations every day. Many have lost their lives as they try to do their job and keep the streets safe. Seen from that perspective, you could argue that the police officer was doing what he saw necessary to prevent harm.

Of course, there are times when forceful methods can and should be used when apprehending suspects. If a woman is pointing a gun at a crowd, would you expect the police to keep their hands off of her simply because she is pregnant? No. You wouldn't.

But watching the video a second time, it's harder to believe that this was an instance where the correct amount of force was used. Even if the woman did threaten him with pepper spray, she was well subdued after the fact. The punching and subsequent behavior just seems like it was driven by panic and anger.

Do you think the officer used too much force in this case?

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Makes sense. I didn't see the lunch very well but from what I saw, it looked like he punched her in the face. But then again, so much craziness, I probably just assumed.

But yea, I agree with everything you said.

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't say too much force, just not the right kind. There was no reason for him to punch her in the head/face. But cops are human too and even though they have plenty of training, I think sometimes get caught up in the moment. Not saying that excuses his behavior but at the same time, I can understand that he may have lost his cool in a very heated situation. Again, his specific actions were not ok in my book but I do think force was needed. I do think he deserves some sort of reprimanding as well.

As for the woman, I don't even know where to start. If she is really pregnant and was that worried about her unborn child, she never should have resisted and certainly not to that extent. Honestly, I feel she has no one to blame but herself for what happened to her.

The slight blow to the back of the head is a technique to disorient someone. If you watch, he didn't punch her as hard as he could, it was a glancing blow. If she really is pregnant, it is on her to protect her child. From what I have seen, she wasn't even going to get arrested until she threatened with mace. It is on her to listen to the officers and protect herself and her unborn child from that struggle. The officer is well within his rights to disorient her when she is resisting arrest. If she is pregnant, the baby isn't in her head.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM
She resisted arrest. I dont feel sorry for her.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Let me guess, they are racist.  Sheesh.

Quoting jamiegraham:

The police do it because as usual they get a way with it.

jamiegraham
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I didn't say that at all!!!!

Quoting Cafe Steph:

by Rebecca Stokes

arrests, pregnant woman arrestedThe police have issued a statement regarding their recent controversial arrest of a 16-year-old teen boy and his 21-year-old sister, Brenda Hardaway, who claims to be pregnant. The story garnered public notice when a video was released of the sister being arrested with what appears to be an undue amount of violence. In the video, she tells the officer she is pregnant as he attempts to cuff her. Eventually, the officer punches her in the head and moves her forcibly to the ground. The Rochester Police argue this claim, saying that their officers acted with "tremendous restraint."

The reason the officers gave for their arrest tactics? They claim that the pregnant woman had pointed a can of pepper spray at them. However, if that is indeed what took place, it wasn't captured on the video which later made its way to YouTube.

Police officers find themselves in high-risk situations every day. Many have lost their lives as they try to do their job and keep the streets safe. Seen from that perspective, you could argue that the police officer was doing what he saw necessary to prevent harm.

Of course, there are times when forceful methods can and should be used when apprehending suspects. If a woman is pointing a gun at a crowd, would you expect the police to keep their hands off of her simply because she is pregnant? No. You wouldn't.

But watching the video a second time, it's harder to believe that this was an instance where the correct amount of force was used. Even if the woman did threaten him with pepper spray, she was well subdued after the fact. The punching and subsequent behavior just seems like it was driven by panic and anger.

Do you think the officer used too much force in this case?

Vamp
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:24 AM

yes!! it was not like a deadly weapon!! She should have known better though, but the cop should be better trained for that situations.

Delila12
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
He wasn't having any trouble arresting her. She wasn't fighting him, she was yelling. There was no reason to punch her, or toss her on the ground.
smorgan865
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Dramatic much....

Pregnancy doesn't give you a literal "get out of jail free card". If she wouldn't have been resisting she wouldn't have put the baby in any kind of situation to be bumped around like that. Our bodies do a good job of creating protection for the developing fetus.

5 months pregnant?! (She yells that at about the 1:45 mark) She defintiely didn't look it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Yeah... After seeing story after story about police brutality I can't help but feel less safe with cops around. So much corruption.

4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM

The punch in the head was VERY wrong. I agree that you don't resist arrest but a punch in the head? Really?

petie1104
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM
She resisted and he is charged with ensuring she didn't get away, where she could possibly get a weapon and become more of a threat. So, no, I don't think he went too far.

I have made it clear to my children that even if they know they did nothing wrong, do not resist, we will work that out after you are safely at the station. That is just common sense. You don't resist.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured