Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lower left abdomen pain in 3 year old?

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 29 Replies

My daughter just started complaining of pain in her lower left abdomen. She's been sick with a cold, so I'm thinking (hoping) that its just aches from that, or possibly her colon (she says that she "just" pooped, but I can't be positive because I didn't see it). Anything else I'm not thinking of that could mean trouble with pain in that area for a child? She doesn't have a fever, she's a little tired, but happy otherwise.

update: I just told her I was going to take her into the bathroom to try to poop and she said "I don't want to poop, its gonna hurt to poop". Something tells me she was fibbing about pooping today, I think she may be a little backed up. Thanks for all the help and suggestions ladies!

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:45 AM

bump

imakehimscream
by He screams on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Idk good luck bump
PoisonEyeV
by _ on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Gas bubbles is what I would assume it is. Just keep an eye on it some times kids like to over exaggerate pains when they are sick.  If it persists for a whole day and maybe another, consider maybe calling her pedi so they can offer you some suggestions.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM

That's what I was assuming too, I mean there's not really any other organs in that area that cause the "emergency" abdominal pain, ya know? It just makes me nervous since she's so little :/

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Gas bubbles is what I would assume it is. Just keep an eye on it some times kids like to over exaggerate pains when they are sick.  If it persists for a whole day and maybe another, consider maybe calling her pedi so they can offer you some suggestions.

krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:55 AM
If she had asthma, it could be an attack. That happened to my son, he was rolling on the floor crying, in terrible pain. I took him to the er and the doctor told me that they see this at least once a month. A kids comes on with extreme stomach pain, only to find out it is asthma.
SyllabaryBisque
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM

If it's in her lower left quadrant, it's probably just gas or constipation. Just to double-check, how old is she?

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Quoting SyllabaryBisque:

If it's in her lower left quadrant, it's probably just gas or constipation. Just to double-check, how old is she?

BeAmour
by Tonya on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Yeah, there really isn't any organs down on that side. Is it more lateral or medial to her belly button?
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Huh, that's interesting, I never would think to correlate the 2. She's never shown any symptoms of asthma before, but she was very premature, so it is something that we'd have to be on the look out. But she DOES have a cold, so her respiratory system is already irritated, do you think irritation like a cold could cause the same thing? 

Quoting krazymom2boyz:

If she had asthma, it could be an attack. That happened to my son, he was rolling on the floor crying, in terrible pain. I took him to the er and the doctor told me that they see this at least once a month. A kids comes on with extreme stomach pain, only to find out it is asthma.

SyllabaryBisque
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Okay, yeah, I would say gas or constipation then. I just wanted to make sure she wasn't closer to puberty or anything like that. Push tons of fluids and try to get her up and walking if possible. That should help.

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Quoting SyllabaryBisque:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)