Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am not buying gifts for christmas this year, how do I tell people nicely?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies
3 moms liked this

My family is beyond rich. I am not. The people I care about get crafted gifts for holidays (things I have made with my daughter). Some members of my family have stated that they do not apreciate my gifts. So this year they are getting nothing. I am not going out of my way to spend money I worked hard to make to buy something my rich family probably could care less about. Their taste is so much more expensive than my budget affords. And hand crafted items are useless to them. Its not even that I can't afford gifts, I just can't afford the kind of gifts they expect from people. I am not buying my sister a pair of sperries and my step mom a Kate Spade dress. Sorry but no.

So. how do I tell them without saying you are ungreatful a-holes or: your taste is outside my budget.

ANy suggestions? I ask now because I start crafting around now for Christmas gifts. And before you telling me I am cheap, my mother raised me to believe that gifts are from the heart, not from the wallet. Not to mention I have to buy materials for crafting which can cost more than a gift depending on the item.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brvdsmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I think home made gifts are awesome! If they don't appreciate them then they shouldn't get anything! My extended family sucks so badly that we are loading up in the motor home and leaving town just so we don't have to deal with them!

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM
9 moms liked this

You don't.  You just send a card and let that be that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I agree that homemade gifts are great...I honestly think I would give a mass gift that didnt cost a lot (4*6 cute picture of your kiddos) and mail them with a card. Say you decided to focus on your kiddos or parents or whoever.

quinnsmom715
by Donna on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

say nothing.if asked,just say since my gifts in previous years werent appreciated,ive decided no gifts..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM

following

rory10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM
3 moms liked this

We're making everything we're giving for Christmas this year too. Except for DD and possible each other. Say you're trying to find the true meaning of Christmas through simplicity. After all a little boy once could only play a song on his drum.

taminick32
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Man how ungrateful!!

My family we only buy for the kids. My
Dd9 and when ds16 was younger made an ornament or some thing, my family loved them!
freemane
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Just send cards. If they don't appreciate the things you make, why bother. Or, you could always just say "Let's not exchange gifts this year, I'd rather just spend time with everyone.".
Ariellasmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM
I agree with this

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

You don't.  You just send a card and let that be that.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I made this decision a few years ago to only buy for the kids.I just told everybody matter of factly. Some were releived because they were tired of doing gifts for every one too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)