Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**ETA** i really don't understand the hypocrisy...anyone care to explain? (religion topic)

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 140 Replies
8 moms liked this

no disrespect to any particular religion (or lack hereof)...but why is it when a person says they are 3rd, 4th, etc., generation witch/other belief (outside of christianity) everyone applauds... but christians who are christians bc that is what they were raised get called mindless robots or sheeple or some other negative phrasing that suggests they have been brainwashed? Is it not possible that I am able to think for myself and come to the conclusion that being a christian is what I want? not that it's what someone programmed me to be, so I have no choice...

eta: this is something I have noticed on cm. not in real life.

ETA 2: I suppose the point most of you are missing is that everyone believes in SOMETHING, and we all pass that on to our children in some way, shape or form. many non-Christians say they teach their kids to be open minded, and to choose for themselves, but they are only open minded to the things they believe...everything else is mythical, and imaginary. For some who claim to be so "intelligent and enlightened" they are only mimicking what they have read or heard someone else say rather than basing their beliefs off of personal experiences.

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I noticed something similair, when you teach your children about church and your religion (if you are christian) you are brainwashing them and there is no way a child that young truly understands the concept of it so you are making them do something and how evil you are for forcing religion on a child.  

Now a pagan or anyone else teaching their children their beliefs is a truly wonderful sweet glorious thing that should be encouraged.

shabbalaquita
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM

exactly. I don't get it. i really am curious to know what people will say...

Quoting Anonymous:

I noticed something similair, when you teach your children about church and your religion (if you are christian) you are brainwashing them and there is no way a child that young truly understands the concept of it so you are making them do something and how evil you are for forcing religion on a child.  

Now a pagan or anyone else teaching their children their beliefs is a truly wonderful sweet glorious thing that should be encouraged.

shabbalaquita
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM

bump

myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Where do you live that people say that about non Christian beliefs?? Dh is a second generation druid, but no one bothers to ask where he learned it. They just ask him a bunch of stupid questions about devil worship and get pissed when he doesn't want to discuss religion with strangers.
IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I have also seen that around here. Perhaps it's because the Pagan religions are older than say... Christianity or even Judaism.  I don't care what religion someone is, if they indoctrinate their child, I see that as abuse.

freemane
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM
I'm thinking it's probably that Christianity is the norm in the states. No one is surprised by the idea that some one would conform to societal norms.
Not that there's anything wrong with being a Christian.
shabbalaquita
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:47 AM

i'm talking about here on CM

Quoting myempyreofdirt:

Where do you live that people say that about non Christian beliefs?? Dh is a second generation druid, but no one bothers to ask where he learned it. They just ask him a bunch of stupid questions about devil worship and get pissed when he doesn't want to discuss religion with strangers.

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Excellent question
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

My guess is that it's a hatred and intolerance thing. You (generally speaking) hate Christianity so you're against everything Christians do. You view the passing on of their beliefs to be wrong because you don't want more people to become Christian. Because you do not believe in the Christian God or their Bible you view everyone who does to be beneath you, unintelligent, and/or a brainwashed sheep.   

shabbalaquita
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM
4 moms liked this

do you also classify teaching your child respect, manners, and setting rules as abuse?

not being snippy...truly curious.

Quoting IhartU:

I have also seen that around here. Perhaps it's because the Pagan religions are older than say... Christianity or even Judaism.  I don't care what religion someone is, if they indoctrinate their child, I see that as abuse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN