Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom and caretaker kill severely autistic teen

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 427 Replies
3 moms liked this

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57600751/film-provides-glimpse-into-life-of-autistic-teen-killed-by-his-mother/

This woman clearly snapped.   This is an extreme case and I will be honest, I do not think I would be able to deal with a child like this..  I think in this case, putting him in an institution would have been the right choice, but is that even an option anymore?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM

They're not called institutions any longer; they're called residential school settings.  I used to work at a school for kids with autism and there was a residential component for some.  It can be difficult to get kids into the residential part of the school depending on the severity of the child and the amount of openings the local schools have.  The school I worked at had a waiting list but kids who were endangering their families were put to the top of the list.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Quoting disneymom2two:

They're not called institutions any longer; they're called residential school settings.  I used to work at a school for kids with autism and there was a residential component for some.  It can be difficult to get kids into the residential part of the school depending on the severity of the child and the amount of openings the local schools have.  The school I worked at had a waiting list but kids who were endangering their families were put to the top of the list.

I wonder what happened with this child then, why wasn't that an option for the mother? Looking at the video, it is really upsetting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Wow.
MixtlisMomme
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Omg :(
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM

That's horrible :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

watching him be restrained in the hospital was awful.  He was clearly in pain(the stomach issue) and was tied up like an animal.  

Sammybby09
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM
:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this
This is horrible all the way around. That poor boy, being murdered. His poor mother feeling like she had no other options.
I don't have a sn child so I have no idea how hard it can be from a personal perspective, but as a mother, I can't imagine a circumstance where my child would be better off dead.
2ArfarasMom
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Wow very sad situation
AnastasiaKorsh
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Well, the article expressed that no one would take him, insurance didn't cover treatment and his mother felt like they were not treating her son correctly

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting disneymom2two:

I wonder what happened with this child then, why wasn't that an option for the mother? Looking at the video, it is really upsetting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN