Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom and caretaker kill severely autistic teen

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57600751/film-provides-glimpse-into-life-of-autistic-teen-killed-by-his-mother/

This woman clearly snapped.   This is an extreme case and I will be honest, I do not think I would be able to deal with a child like this..  I think in this case, putting him in an institution would have been the right choice, but is that even an option anymore?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Replies (231-240):
honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
This is one of the worst things I've ever read. That poor kid couldn't say what was wrong with him,and mom's intuition told her where to go. I can't comprehend how that same woman could STAB her child. She really must have gone insane. No other way ...
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Maybe she didnt want to. Thought she could handle it? Horrible :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting disneymom2two:

They're not called institutions any longer; they're called residential school settings.  I used to work at a school for kids with autism and there was a residential component for some.  It can be difficult to get kids into the residential part of the school depending on the severity of the child and the amount of openings the local schools have.  The school I worked at had a waiting list but kids who were endangering their families were put to the top of the list.

I wonder what happened with this child then, why wasn't that an option for the mother? Looking at the video, it is really upsetting.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Maybe she didnt want to. Thought she could handle it? Horrible :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting disneymom2two:

They're not called institutions any longer; they're called residential school settings.  I used to work at a school for kids with autism and there was a residential component for some.  It can be difficult to get kids into the residential part of the school depending on the severity of the child and the amount of openings the local schools have.  The school I worked at had a waiting list but kids who were endangering their families were put to the top of the list.

I wonder what happened with this child then, why wasn't that an option for the mother? Looking at the video, it is really upsetting.

honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I see a lot of folks blaming the hospital, but it's the insurance company that was the last straw.
sexysiren1983
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Reading this broke my heart and made me feel sick. I work with severely autistic kids as a paraeducator and am studying mild/moderate disabilities to get my credential, and I agree this woman "snapped". She had no breaks from her son, and being the mom of an autistic child ( wouldnt know) I'm sure is emotionally and physically draining. of coruse killing ehr child was wrong and disgusting, but I do think she should plea insanity. I'm sure she feels guilty---i think she just couldn't take it anymore.

Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM
This exactly. She shouldn't have killed him, but I can understand why she did. I think she did it out of mercy for him.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

That's so sad for the mother and the son. I think she made the wrong decision, but I can only imagine what it's like to be in her shoes. I don't think I could handle it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 55 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Wow. This is so sad. I don't even know where to begin. As a mother with a special needs child (my son has ADHD/ODD) I can sympathize with the mother. Before we found treatment that helped my son, I would sit in the corner and cry because of his inibility to control his anger and becuase of my inibility to help him. He would be physically violent toward me and everyone else in the family, almost causing me to crash my vehicle multiple times and he was also violent to other children and adults. The worst being his stomping a little girl in the face because he was so angry. My dh worked 16 hour days 6 days a week to support us becuase I could not work because no one would take him, so he was unavailable. I was basically his sole provider. I was worn out physically and mentally from trying to find him help and trying to figure out how to pay for it. While my son's diagnosis isn't as severe as Alex's, I know how difficult it can be to try and find help for a child with special needs. Do I feel murder was the answer? No, but I absolutely understand the desperation that this mother and caretaker felt. This whole story is sad.

hellokittykat
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM

So sad

ZsMommy
Hungry for everything that's not in the house right now.
Yesterday at 3:39 PM
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I still can't get over this-I read it-watched video last night. Yes-he was severely autistic but that doesn't mean he had no emotions. Just imagining the woman who loves you,cares for you stabbing you in the heart (says the care taker poisoned and stabbed the teen in the heart)-I really could vomit at this story.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 56 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

wow so sad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)