Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom and caretaker kill severely autistic teen

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57600751/film-provides-glimpse-into-life-of-autistic-teen-killed-by-his-mother/

This woman clearly snapped.   This is an extreme case and I will be honest, I do not think I would be able to deal with a child like this..  I think in this case, putting him in an institution would have been the right choice, but is that even an option anymore?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Replies (271-280):
okpondlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM

You have to pay to put someone in an "Institutional setting" or school or whatever you call it.  Most of these people by the time they get as old as he is have used their insurance to the max allowed..  or the insurance won't pay for it.   In the video they said he didn't have the insurance for most alternative treatments.  Poor kid..and even more poor mama. 

angelmom224
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Let me get a hold of those two women. I would love to stab a knife in their heart and I would refuse to give pain meds or over dose them on anything. They would suffer. She is no mother. I refuse to let her be known as one. She is pure evil. No mother no matter how desperate the situation would ever result in murdering their own child. I have 3 children with Fragile x syndrome which is the leading genetic cause of autism. One of my sons has autism too. There is so much help out there. You have to search and fight for your child you dont just give up on them. This story makes me furious and it is completely sick. I hope they sentence them to death. No excuse for what they did. 

Uniquecoolio
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Does anyone remember about a year (or 2) ago when a psychiatrist in MD killed her autistic 14 year old son and then herself? So tragic, these situations.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 62 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

All I can say is I don't think I would have lasted as long as her. Though the video does not agree I do believe in dignity and quality of life AND euthanasia.

Tay06
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Yes, it is still possible. There are dayhabs (places that mentally handicapped adults can go during the day to learn or work while their parents work and then they go home between 2:00 and 4:00) and there are live-in institutions where handicapped adults and children (separated of course) live, work, eat, sleep, etc.  My younger sister (20) is MR and she has the option to go to Easter Seals which is a live-in or a dayhab or stay at home and get waiver services where a person actually takes care of her for a certain amount of time at home.  The amount of time and if she even qualifies is determined by the state.  The risk of being abused in any way increases with live-in institutions but it happens when the mentally handicapped individuals stay at home with family or workers too.  My younger sister is cared for by family we trust thankfully.  It's sad people are still so uneducated about mentally handicapped individuals and their options.  Not all mentally handicapped individuals have the same options.  It varies by state and level of severity but there are still options.

MaggieO
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I in no way condone what this woman did, but I do feel for her. Not only was her child not getting the care or services he needed, but she had no respite. I think in her own way, she thought she was doing the most compassionate thing by ending his life. This woman and her son were being tossed aside by the healthcare system. This story is heartbreaking on so many levels.
honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM
What she couldn't take is the insurance company denying her son care. We need more people, in the field and ortherwise, fighting against this bullshit. I still can't wrap my mind around stabbing one's own child, but the insurance company caused her to go insane and take his life.

Quoting sexysiren1983:

Reading this broke my heart and made me feel sick. I work with severely autistic kids as a paraeducator and am studying mild/moderate disabilities to get my credential, and I agree this woman "snapped". She had no breaks from her son, and being the mom of an autistic child ( wouldnt know) I'm sure is emotionally and physically draining. of coruse killing ehr child was wrong and disgusting, but I do think she should plea insanity. I'm sure she feels guilty---i think she just couldn't take it anymore.

Tay06
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't completely blame the mother.  Institutionalizing the kid was obviously not an answer, because the reason he was violent was because he had a painful medical disorder that no one would treat.  He wasn't out of control.  He was in pain and unable to express that pain in any other way.  Institutionalizing him would have only removed him from his mother's sight (a woman I do believe loved him and was desperate to take away the pain from him) not ended the pain.  In an institution he would have been restrained and remained in pain until he died or somehow got medical attention (not likely to happen it seems).  I think the mother did what she thought was best for her son.  I don't think she killed him because he was autistic and she thought he was better off dead than disabled.  I think she killed him because she thought he was better of dead than in constant, severe pain.  No, she doesn't need to be out in the public, because she's probably seriously mentally screwed up from killing her own son.  She needs to be in a hospital herself where she can get mental help from trained professionals.

honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
You are so right, and I feel so messed up over this again. I was telling my boyfriend about it... I'd go John Q over this shit if it were me or be bashing someone's head into a desk at the insurance company... And I'm really not a violent person.

Quoting laranadtony:

As for how she is feeling now. I can tell you. Her reason for living is gone. It is by her own hands but she will give up now.

P.S.

You think her life was a living hell WITH the boy? It is more of a hell without him! She won't last long.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 63 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM
God made NO MISTAKE when HE allowed this child to live!!!! Why in the world we would re-elect a president that is so uncaring as to take away healthcare an tie the hands of people that want to help is beyond me. My heart goes out to the mother who did this to her own son. I KNOW that the desperation gets bad. And I know that what she did was wrong. But where do we as a people stop listening to pretty words and start thinking about who and what we are making suffer because we want things to be 'easy'? Obama didn't provide 'change' the way we heard it. He misrepresented our nation and I for one say that it is his fault that this mother and child had to suffer because of 'change'. Really?! Come on America. Find your backbone, grab your balls and let's get this show on the road!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)