Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

1st Grade Homework ?!?! Update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 280 Replies

Poll

Question: Is this excessive?

Options:

That is alot

Seem about right

My kid comes home with more

Other, there is always an other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 492

View Results

How much homework does your 1st grader get a day? My DD is coming home with an hour to 2 hours of home work a night. This seems excessive to me, is this really the norm for our 6 year olds?

ETA To answer a few reoccuring questions. Most of it is real homework/study time. She has only had to finish somehting she didn't finish in class once. She is usually on task at school with no issues, she always comes home on a green card and I have talked to her teacher, although not about homework, just the casual talk when I pick her up from school. She always says how well behaved DD is and never has any problems with her not finishing things in class.

Also her homework break down is as follows:

30 min adult reading to be recorded in her reading log daily

15 min child lead reading to be recorded daily

20 min of sight word review (she has 80 sight words)

10 min of spelling work (she has 10 spelling words and gets tested every friday)

5 min of hand writting practice a night (usually one page front and back)

10 min math (one page front and back usually about 10- 15 problems, less the week they were working on word problems)

20min reading comp work sheet ( Read a short 1-2 paragraph assigned story and answer about 5 questions about the story, comes out to be about one to two sentences per question) I think this could go faster but this is where we struggle.

Then what ever she has left from class (This has only happened once and was about 3 min or work)

I will definitely look into talking to the teacher I know the 45 min total reading but maybe she really shouldn't be spending as much time on everything else. I thought it seemed like a reasonable amount spent on each task however.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this
My son only had 1 assignment a night.
Elayna90
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My DS has 20 minutes reading plus about 15 minutes homework every night.
jujubear1
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM
That is a lot. Is she given time to do it in school and not completing it or is it homework assigned for the sole purpose of completing at home?
krissy920
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:01 PM
My son is in 1st grade hes in a special program that teaches in spanish half the day english in the other, to help the kids learn spanish. He gets 15 mins a day..its either vocabulary or reading.
Maxi_Maxi
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:02 PM
That's an insane amount. We have like 30 minutes tops in 4th grade...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:02 PM

How many worksheets? 

lunabella79
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:02 PM
In Kinder my DS had 1-2 hrs of HW. But his teacher was terrible. Last year in 1st grade he had 1/2-1 hr of HW. It was a normal amount that I thought was adequate.
ttriddick
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Yes my son had that much homework in first grade. I was pretty shocked when he first brought that much home. But it was the norm all year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM

My son was in first grade last year. Usually he had 2 worksheets and reader he had to read.  And practice spelling words.  It was less than an hour.  

dee06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM
7 moms liked this

It should be 10 minutes for each grade plus reading. 1st grade=10 minutes of homework plus 20 minutes of reading. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)