Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay Im obviously doing something wrong but I have no idea what

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 113 Replies
I have three kids ODD (9), DS (3, 4 on oct) and YDD (4 months)

My DS is almost four and is not potty trained. I have tried everything I can think of. I have tried rewards, I have tried repercussions (time out or loss of electronics), I have checked out books and movies from the library, I have taken him in 20 minute intervals and had him try. We bought a seat that goes on the regular toliet and a potty seat that goes on the floor and makes a car noise when you "flush". I tried putting him back in diapers, tried pull ups. I'm at a loss what am I doing wrong?

When I take him in intervals he waits and then goes on the floor, chair or couch as soon as he leaves the bathroom. When I put pull-ups on him he just pulls them down and goes wherever he is. The diapers he hates and rips them off no matter how many times I put them back on and no matter the consequence. I tried if he went potty all day in the potty with no accidents we would make homemade pizza (his favorite) so he did he went all day in the potty then as soon as I got up from the dinner table to help my youngest he took off hid under his blankets and peed in his bed!! The consequences mean nothing he doesn't care I can take away everything he doesn't care he will sit and have a conversation with the wall. I make him clean up his own messes (with help and supervision) doesn't phase him.

What am I doing wrong? Help!!
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Punchyobuns
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Have you talked to his doctor? 

Newfie_Mom
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Help please
Newfie_Mom
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Numerous times. He has been checked for bladder issues, uti, and a whole list of other things. They sent us to a child chiropractor with a referral to have his back and neck checked both were fine no need to even be adjusted.

Quoting Punchyobuns:

Punchyobuns
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Has he been evaluated for autism?

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Numerous times. He has been checked for bladder issues, uti, and a whole list of other things. They sent us to a child chiropractor with a referral to have his back and neck checked both were fine no need to even be adjusted.

Quoting Punchyobuns:

Foolynroo2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I think this is an issue to take up with his pediatrician

Newfie_Mom
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Not yet. I brought it up the other day am got shut down hard by family. Not that they have a choice. I am going to get him evaluated in general for delays. Even though everyone keeps telling me they are normal when I know they aren't! I have two other children and I know all children develop differently but come on!

Quoting Punchyobuns:

Has he been evaluated for autism?

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Quoting Punchyobuns:

debwatson86
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM
We put underwear on the kids. When they had an accident it was uncomfortable for them since it didn't draw the moisture away like diapers do. that worked for us better than pull ups
Newfie_Mom
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I have numerous times. They have checked him for everything under the sun from bladder to uti to sending us with a referral to see a chiropractor (who said his back and neck are fine and didn't even need adjusting)

Quoting Foolynroo2:

I think this is an issue to take up with his pediatrician

fkh8ah
by Felicia on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I potty trained my 2yr old DD completely by doing it in a messy way, but the other ways werent working. I would put her in underwear and let her go play..she eventually realized she didnt like the sensation. The over night training was about the same, but I stopped giving her water about an hour before bed and made her go pee before bed and woke her up half way through the night. I did my older 3 this way as well. Pullups are too much like diapers. Good luck. :)
Newfie_Mom
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM
We tried that too. Sorry I should have clarified. I took the underwear away to put him back in diapers and pull ups because he didn't are he will sit in it dirty not just wet and does not care.

Quoting debwatson86:

We put underwear on the kids. When they had an accident it was uncomfortable for them since it didn't draw the moisture away like diapers do. that worked for us better than pull ups

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured