Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

TTC while on PA?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 349 Replies

My SIL and I were discussing babies recently. She's excited that we're having another baby, and mentioned her and her SO were thinking about having baby #6. If so, she'd have to get her IUD taken out first. I told her "That's nice" but kinda left it that. I wasn't super duper thrilled mostly because if they have ANOTHER baby, it's not like they can afford it. They're long term on food stamps and Medicaid. She even gets Christmas gifts from charity toy programs at the Holidays.

Should someone willfully TTC while on PA?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chickensmommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM
8 moms liked this
I think if you can't take care of yourself, then you shouldn't bring more innocent life into the world when you can't take care of them.
ashley1693
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:00 PM
12 moms liked this
I'm sure I'll be bashed but.
I'm ttc and were on food stamps. We've been trying for 7 YEARS for our first child. I refuse to stop trying just because we need some help right now. Were not always going to be on them and I don't want to never have a child just because we needed help for a little while.
couture-mommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM
No
Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I'm no one to tell anyone when or how to increase their family size.  

With that said, if it were me-if I suddenly found myself in a position thiat we had to be on food stamps, WIC, Medicaid and the like my decision to TTC would be based upon the longevity of need for these programs.  If it were a temporary situation-less than a year, then maybe.  However if I were long term-over a year then no, it wouldn't be responsible for us to TTC under those circumstances.

HumanBeing
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you realize how much harder your situation will become adding a child?
Why do that to yourself?

Quoting ashley1693:

I'm sure I'll be bashed but.

I'm ttc and were on food stamps. We've been trying for 7 YEARS for our first child. I refuse to stop trying just because we need some help right now. Were not always going to be on them and I don't want to never have a child just because we needed help for a little while.

KGreen75
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM
3 moms liked this
No, if you're on welfare/PA you shouldn't be ttc. In fact, if you have a child while on PA, your benefits should NOT increase.

It seems those on PA are often the most fertile, unfortunately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Temporary situations are just that, temporary...but as long as I've known my SIL (DH and I have been together 7 years), she's been on FS and Medicaid.

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

I'm no one to tell anyone when or how to increase their family size.  

With that said, if it were me-if I suddenly found myself in a position thiat we had to be on food stamps, WIC, Medicaid and the like my decision to TTC would be based upon the longevity of need for these programs.  If it were a temporary situation-less than a year, then maybe.  However if I were long term-over a year then no, it wouldn't be responsible for us to TTC under those circumstances.

elfling811
by Niki on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
No, but not my uterus, not my choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I have a cousin like this. Has 5 kids 6 and under and keeps on having more that she can't afford.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I agree...that's why I didn't say anything negative to her. It's not my place to say anything bad since it's not my uterus, but in general, why add to the issue? I wouldn't.

Quoting elfling811:

No, but not my uterus, not my choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)