Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Mom Thinks It's Stupid That I'm Writing Letters To My Kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 283 Replies
8 moms liked this

So I decided I wanted to do something cool for my kids for their 18th birthdays and my fiance for our wedding night (besides the obvious) so I started writing them letters in journals. My daughter is 5 and my son is 8 months. I'm keeping track of all the little moments that are important to me and to them (first soccer game, first day of kingergarten...yada yada, yada) and give it to them on their 18th birthday's. My fiance's I'm just going to write him a bunch of love letters basically counting down the days to our wedding (only 500 and some to go). I'm not telling any of them, so they will never know until I give them all their notebooks.

My mom thinks it's a terrible idea and none of them will appreciate it but she's agreed never to utter a word. Anyone else think it's a stupid idea?

EDIT: Wow, I haven't been on in 24 hours and I had a featured post. I will have to read through all the replies and I promise I will try and answer everyone.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the_dude
by abides on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:37 PM
49 moms liked this

the dude thinks your mom is stupid dude. 

Punchyobuns
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:38 PM
4 moms liked this

I've decided to write my girls letters every year on their birthday and make a nice little book for their 18th birthdays. So I think it's a good idea lol.

busymommy2013
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it is a great idea.
mommysgirl0207
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:39 PM
3 moms liked this
I think it's a cool idea
SleuthMaria
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's a great idea! I can't say every child would appreciate it, but I'd have loved to have gotten something like that when I turned 18

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:40 PM
10 moms liked this
She's jealous. I don't doubt it one bit. Be prepared for her to to do a grandma version. It wouldn't shock me if she did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM
5 moms liked this

It is not stupid at all.  Maybe she is upset because she didn't do it for you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is a beautiful and thoughtful gift for each of your loved ones. I still have the love letters from my husband written over 25 years ago!

gina6239
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it is a great idea! My mom wrote letters to me throughout my life, and I absolutely treasure those now. Someday when she is gone (which I hope is never, lol) I will still have her words to give me strength and love. I also write letters to my daughter to give her someday. As for your DF, that depends on the kind of guy he is. My DH would not be a jerk about it, but I know it is not something that would be all that meaningful to him, although he would appreciate the gesture. Your know your DF better than your mom and if you think it is something he will love, then go for it :)

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM
4 moms liked this

That is an awesome idea. While I am not sure it will be appreciated so much by them when they turn 18, more when they become parents themselves, I think it is an amazing gift you are giving them all. Its a little peice of yourself for them to have for all times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN