Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't even look at this dog

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 91 Replies
Dh was cleaning out our pool today and our husky got out. She's typically a good dog and always comes back. I didn't even know she was our until dh came home and said she killed the lady down the streets cat. I felt like shit taking to that lady. She was sooo nice she said the cat was old and probably just couldn't run quick enough. She has two dogs and said shed give us a video to help us train her. She is a good do she sits and lays on command in the home or in our yard. If she's out of our yard she won't listen to anyone. So I'm not sure what to do other then watch the video a bunch of times and work on this with dh. I'm seriously upset. I told the lady I'd pay for the cat. She kept saying no its ok the cat was old probably needed to be put down next yr and she said please don't get rid of ur dog just make sure she doesnt get out anymore. I told her I'd watch the video and work with the dog some more but Im also thinking about getting an invisible fence box. Do u think they are made with noise that would scared her or would that work on a husky? Do you think a shock collar would be bad? Be honest what would u do? Putting my dog down isn't an option I really think that it would go against what the lady who owns the cat wants.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tharealty2
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd put a really good fence up.  Husky's are great escape artists.  

kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Invisible fences work great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM
2 moms liked this

A husky is a natural runner. They are also VERY stubborn and great escape artists. Invisable fences didn't work with any of our three huskies. They would just run right through it. Shock and all. 8 foot privacy wood fence, with cement under the ground (so they can't dig under it) is what I reccomend to all husky owners. 

How old is she, and how long have you had her?

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Huskies have a very high prey drive. I'm sorry. My pit mix I had as a kid killed our neighbor's cat. It sucked because their daughter was my best friend. She hated me after that.
amberlyp
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:06 AM
This is why I fucking hate huskies. They are often times meaner than pitbulls in my opinion. I do believe most of it is how you train them but I'm sure you didn't train your dog to kill cats. They are just so unpredictable
Arwyn724
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My two huskies are the sweetest dogs I've ever owned, but they will hunt a cat, squirrel or bird faster than you can blink an eye.  It is in their nature to hunt small game, and sometimes you can't train that out of them no matter how hard you try.  I never allow my dogs outside of our fenced yard for that reason.  The hidden shock collar fence did not work on our dogs because their ruff is too thick for the collar to make contact with their necks.  We have a 8 foot privacy fence around our house and back yard.

dixiegurl223626
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I have 2 huskies and they act exactly the way you describe yours. I got an invisible fence about a month ago and its the best investment I've made for them! It does give a warning beep before the shock.

Allie_kat1
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this
My husky was too smart for an invisible fence lol. He figured out of he sat in the right spot the collar would beep, but not shock him. So he would lay there and let it beep till the battery died, then go on his merry way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
plumbobtoggle
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM

That's so sweet of the woman to be understanding. My mom's dog does very well with an invisible fence (the kind that shocks). I don't normally like shock collars but since the dog has a choice to NOT be shocked by staying within the boundaries I'm ok with this one. Is she food motivated? If so, you could whistle train her by using treats and then she would come running back at the sound of the whistle.

3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM

No shock collars. I have seen those burn holes in dogs necks. Nasty things. 

I would be upset at my dog too if it killed a cat but it is in their nature so don't be too hard on her. That lady was really nice about it and so awesome that she is trying to help you out! You can also try some obedience courses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured