Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SK and private school and activities

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 216 Replies

My oldest child just started kindergarten at a private school. This was a decision that me and DH made that we want our kids to be in private school. We have 2 younger kids as well who are 3 and 6 months.

However, DH also has a child with his ex. This child is in 4th grade and goes to public school. His mother has been throwing a fit ever since she found out that our oldest (and the other two when they are old enough) is in private school but DH won't pay for private school for their son. He has offered to cover half of the tuition but she would have to pay the other half. This offer was made when SS started kindergarten and he told her the offer would be on the table if she changed her mind. Personally, I think this is a very generous offer because he already pays $1557 a month (over $18500 a year) in child support which covers almost half of her household bills even though she has another child with another ex.We know about her bills because part of the child support worksheet asks for all bills and monthly expenses to be listed, however, I don't know why because they are not taken into consideration. Anyway, tuition plus all fees plus 5 sets of uniforms is $7500 a year so half of that would be $3750 a year. She could easily take her half out of the child support and still have about $1250 a month in child support for the 1 child.

However, his ex doesn't want to do that, she wants us to continue to pay the child support that covers more then half of her household AND pay all of the tution.

I have no issue with him paying child support, it is a lot but it's a fair amount based on what he makes (it's a bit annoying that it supports more then half the household but there is nothing we can do about that). But it makes me so mad that every time any extra expense comes up, she expects us to just cover it 100%. Anytime SS wants to be in a sport, DH has to pay 100% or she won't let him be in, which is why DH pays for all of these things because he doesn't want his son's mom's greediness to cause his son to suffer.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM
5 moms liked this
I see her point. What will your husband say to the child if he asks why he sent the other kids to private school and not him?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this

She has been trying to make DH look like the bad guy to his son so his son has already asked. He told him he is more then happy to pay for his half of sending him to private school but his mom doesn't want to pay her half.

Quoting Anonymous:

I see her point. What will your husband say to the child if he asks why he sent the other kids to private school and not him?

JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this
She sounds greedy, IMO. It's fair. Paying half sounds fair. So not only does she want that insane amount of child support, she also wants him to pay the full tuition? No. She can pay half, he can pay half.
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

She is full of shit.

I would be bringing all that up at the next hiring. She doesn't even deserve CS if shes not going to do whats in the best interest of her child.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

mommy053008
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM
My dad paid all of our tuition when my mom and dad were split.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM
3 moms liked this

Unfortunatelly this is what happens when two people don't raise their child TOGETHER.

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Sometimes you have to stop looking at whats fair and what she should be doing and start looking at whats best for the child. Think of your reasons for wanting your kids in private school. I know where I live we have awsome public schools so its not a question, but if I lived somewhere where the schools were awful or for whatever reasons you don't want your kids in them, then I wouldn't jeopardize my other childs future by having him for to a school that I thought was less than par all because of disagreements over who should be paying what. If your husband can pay for it without risking your home or food on the table, I think it would be the right thing to do.

MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM
3 moms liked this
Why shouldn't mom pay half?

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM
6 moms liked this
My question is what will she do if this kid gets into private school but her other child with the other ex doesn't?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN