Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bee sting with horrible swelling...need help.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

DH got stung by a bee yesterday afternoon. He's allergic so we went to the ER. A nurse came and sat with us in the lobby and DH didn't have a severe reaction so she told him to take some anithisthamines and he's be fine.

His eye was a little swollen (he got stung on the forehead) last night but today it's REALLY bad. He won't let me take a picture but it looks like the pic below except wider radius. He can't open the eye at all and he said his face is numb down  to his chin on the side with the sting.

He's putting ice on it, took a dose of benedryl, a dose of allegra, a does of ibuprofen, and i put some calamine lotion on it. What else can i do to help him?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pixiesmom2
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

You have done about all you can.  Time is the only thing other than the antihistamines.  So sorry.  That looks so painful.

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I'm not one to run to the dr but I'd take him to a different urgent care or doctor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Benadryl ever 4-6 hrs until it goes down. Not much more. It will go down eventually.
.Bad.Wolf.
by Morsmordre on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Ouch :( I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Bella_x3
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Time. I got stung in the lip recently and it swelled my entire lower face and jaw. For almost a week I had repeat swelling. As long as he isn't having a whole body reaction, like breathing issues, or signs of infection, it will go down eventually. Just make sure the stinger is out.
JustBreath2013
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Holy bee balls, that is a hell of a sting....

BamaRose61
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Also have him to set upright and if he does lay down, keep his head elevated.  If he get stung again, scrape the stinger out, don't pull and make a paste of unseasoned meat tenderizer and put on the sting.  But keep giving him the benadryl and ibuprofen and icing it. He also might want to mention the reaction to his dr next time he goes. Next sting could be worse or it may not affect him as bad as this one.   Dh use to have honey bees and I have scraped as many as 15 stingers out of him cause he wouldn't bother putting on a bee suit to work with them.  One thing about it, after being stung, his arthritis would be better for awhile.

JjcH0911
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I was getting ready to post something like this. This morning I was stung on the foot by a wasp, my foot is swollen, I'm pregnant, so I really do not want to take anything, so was looking for alternatives..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elkmomma
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I'm highly allergic to them and you've been doing the right things so far.  However, if the numbness & swelling continue to get worse / spread go back to the Dr.  You may want to switch to Motrin, tends to work better for swelling. 

elkmomma
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Try a baking soda (any meat tenderizer) paste or bath, it helps to pull the venom out and make sure you removed the stinger. 

Quoting JjcH0911:

I was getting ready to post something like this. This morning I was stung on the foot by a wasp, my foot is swollen, I'm pregnant, so I really do not want to take anything, so was looking for alternatives..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN