Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Saving Babies at 20Weeks old-would you??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Most of them end up on life support for a while, then are doomed to a life of being profoundly disabled, and unable to care for themselves their entire life.  

Would you want your child saved no matter the price to the child?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Replies (11-20):
vwd_johnson
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Not every baby born at 20 weeks is doomed for life. You never know what could happen.

Hell, I was born around 26 weeks and they told my mom I died, then said id never make it out of the hospital, then said I would have issues my whole life. It was one bad sentence after another.

I'm alive and kicking with some non life threatening health issues with kids of my own.

I just think unless the child is literally only alive by machines and has no chance of surviving on their own or will never live without being in complete pain, Then it's worth the chance to survive.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Like a baby born micropreemie? I'm sure it'd be different in the reality and emotion of the situation, but in the logical-ness of it only being a theoretical question - no, I would NOT want heroic measures taken to keep the baby alive.
There's a reason it makes the news when these tiny babies have an ok outcome: most don't survive and the ones that do are usually profoundly disabled.
Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Just because a child is disabled, even profoundly so, does not mean their life is unhappy or not worth living.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Likeflike doll of a baby born at 24 weeks

Below is a photo of a real baby aged 24 weeks.

stephensmommy06
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM
My son was born @29weeks with fetal hydrops. I was in the hospital for a week before the drs asking me to sign a waiver stating I didn't want aggressive treatment for him after birth because he ONLY had about a 10% chance of survival,...I REFUSED. It was miraculously discovered only a few hrs later that my insurance wasn't accepted and I was transferred to another hospital. That night I delivered my 5lbs 10oz 15in baby boy. He was put on a breathing machine for 8 days and only spend 45 days in the NICU, the neonatologist said they hadn't seen a sever case like his and have a surviving baby. Just to give you an idea, he was 5 10 at birth and once all the fluid was gone he was 2lbs 3oz. If I would have listened to the first dr he wouldn't be here. I knew I couldn't give up on him without a fight.'
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

They're not all doomed to a life of severe disabilities. Some do have the, but others are normal, others have mild disabilities that they grow out of. 

I'd want my child saved no matter what. I would want him or her given their chance to fight and to live. 

I can't say I would go to extreme lengths to keep them living such as life support or repeatedly painful procedures that don't appear to help. If the baby doesn't show any signs of improvements and only declines, then we'd consider just making him or her comfortable until they pass. 

karmakarma
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM

There was that 23 weeker that was born, 10 pounds now and a couple months old, no problems. She was less than a pound at birth.

I would. I wouldn't want to deliver at 20 weeks and just say, fuck it, leave it be and let it die.?! WHO WOULD???!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

hmmm.... maybe you should spend a day with my sis in the pedi ward of a special hosp for kids with problems stemming from being born too soon, and kept alive..most are in severe pain, have endless painful treatments, meds and shots to 'help' with the condition.  She says it's heartbreaking to see these small children in such agonly and torture. 

Quoting Lauriemom:

Just because a child is disabled, even profoundly so, does not mean their life is unhappy or not worth living.

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Depends. If my child was missing major organs or appendages then maybe not. But if there was a chance at a happy life yes.

If this is purely to be turned around into an abortion debate the choice is up to every person. I agree they should have that choice although personally I would not take that option.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

no abor5tion debate....my sis who works in a hosp with kids born too soon, was telling me the horrors of having to care for these poor kids, and the pain they endure on a daily basis. 

Quoting lasombrs:

Depends. If my child was missing major organs or appendages then maybe not. But if there was a chance at a happy life yes.

If this is purely to be turned around into an abortion debate the choice is up to every person. I agree they should have that choice although personally I would not take that option.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)