Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Saving Babies at 20Weeks old-would you??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Most of them end up on life support for a while, then are doomed to a life of being profoundly disabled, and unable to care for themselves their entire life.  

Would you want your child saved no matter the price to the child?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Yes.  As a Christian, I personally feel it's not my place to make the decision on who lives and who dies.  Every life is put here for a purpose, and who am I to interfere with that?

I would pray every day for God to ease the suffering/pain of that child, but I'd love them every second in-between until they were called Home. 

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

If a child is born breathing then they are alive.  There is no gaurantee that a baby born full term and "perfect" won't be in an accident later that leaves them profoundly damaged for their entire life.  So why not attempt to save a child born alive?  Yes, there are risks, but they are worth taking.  

A dear friend of mine was told her daughter would not make it through the first trimester.  Then was told that she'd be dead at birth because of severe interuterine growth retardation-she was born at 1 pound 8 ounces.  They then told her she'd never make it out of the NICU.  When she did they said she'd never walk, she'd never talk, she'd never be more than what she was.  

At the age of 2 she took her first steps.  She is in a music class and sings.  She does have delays, and will never lead a "normal" life but what she is living is HERS, and I thank God that her parents didn't listen to the doctors when they said to terminate for the world would be short one more perfect soul.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM
2 moms liked this

They don't save babies born at 20 weeks, the let them pass away after birth. Babies have to be born at 22 weeks gestation, for neonatal staff to try to save them. And a 22 weeks neonatal staff who do try to save these babies only do so because the mom wants the staff to try to save her baby based on the infant's gestational age of viability only.

LectioDivina
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM

My God sister's son was born at 23 weeks, he's now three and perfect.

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM
You never know in mc lol. I think 20 weeks is the cut off and imagined the snarky updates after people replied :)

And that is a hard job. It takes special people to do that every day.

Quoting Anonymous:

no abor5tion debate....my sis who works in a hosp with kids born too soon, was telling me the horrors of having to care for these poor kids, and the pain they endure on a daily basis. 

Quoting lasombrs:

Depends. If my child was missing major organs or appendages then maybe not. But if there was a chance at a happy life yes.

If this is purely to be turned around into an abortion debate the choice is up to every person. I agree they should have that choice although personally I would not take that option.

.Bad.Wolf.
by Morsmordre on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I would do anything to save my child.

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Yes, of course, they are my child and they deserve to live. I don't think disabilities mean they can't have a worth while life and enjoy the world. I know a child who was born at 25 weeks and she doesn't have a single disability.

zacmacsmomm
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't say, I've never been there.  But just because the infant can "survive" doesn't alway mean they will have a life.  I dont' think that is fair to the child.

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM

First of all, God bless your sister. It takes a special heart to care for those babies, I could not do it.

Secondly, if a child is in severe pain with no hope of it ever ending I can see what you are saying.  My point was that if the child is to have cognitive delays, or even physical disabilities, it does not mean a child should not live.  I would not want my child in constant pain, but I can't see giving up on my baby either,  Perhaps the baby will pull thru and be able to live a happy life.

Quoting Anonymous:

hmmm.... maybe you should spend a day with my sis in the pedi ward of a special hosp for kids with problems stemming from being born too soon, and kept alive..most are in severe pain, have endless painful treatments, meds and shots to 'help' with the condition.  She says it's heartbreaking to see these small children in such agonly and torture. 

Quoting Lauriemom:

Just because a child is disabled, even profoundly so, does not mean their life is unhappy or not worth living.

4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Where I work 23 weeks is the cut off for heroic measures.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)