Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Saving Babies at 20Weeks old-would you??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Most of them end up on life support for a while, then are doomed to a life of being profoundly disabled, and unable to care for themselves their entire life.  

Would you want your child saved no matter the price to the child?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Replies (31-40):
SaratheV
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM
No. I would never spend thousands of dollars saving a 20 week old fetus. It wouldnt be worth it.
bribren
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Yes I would because every baby is different. Not all babies born that young will have profound disabilities. I had my first son at 22 weeks. He lived 18 hours with out any medical intervention. I have often wondered what he would have been like. I begged them to help him but they said no he's not a baby he's a fetus. He wouldn't be a viable baby until 24 weeks. Do you know how heart wrenching it is to hold your child knowing their is nothing you can do for them and just love them until their gone. Fast forward 8 years I was pregnant with my third DD my water broke at 22 weeks. I went into L&D they told me I would have to deliver her. My doctor came in I was hysterical. He said I won't start your labor but I won't stop it if it starts. So I was sent to the woman's ward to await labor. They gave me steroid injections and put me on an antibiotic Iv. Everyday the NICU doctors would come in and tell me how my child would have no quality of life and that I should sign a DNR. Everyday I told them the same thing I would never sign it. I was able to carry her until 29 weeks. She was born with ecoli and during her stay in the NICU had a brain bleed. I was told once again she would have no quality of life and how by not signing the DNR I had sentenced my daughter to a life of pain and anguish. This is my daughter who they said would be profoundly disabled.

renijazzysmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM
No. I would not want to save the baby's life, if it would never have a good quality of life.
LectioDivina
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Likeflike doll of a baby born at 24 weeks

Below is a photo of a real baby aged 24 weeks.

My dd was very premature also, sometimes they start out looking pretty fragile and turn out to be pretty strong and feisty.

unspecified42
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM
No 20 weeker has ever been saved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

But wouldn't medical intervention to try to save the life of an underdeveloped baby also be interfering with God's will?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes.  As a Christian, I personally feel it's not my place to make the decision on who lives and who dies.  Every life is put here for a purpose, and who am I to interfere with that?

I would pray every day for God to ease the suffering/pain of that child, but I'd love them every second in-between until they were called Home. 

Foolynroo2
If you are reading this - I think you're a Cunt
Yesterday at 9:12 PM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Yes I would, it's my child, I would want all measures taken.

If you had small cell lung cancer would you just shrug and say okay This is probably going to kill me and if I fight it will be a long haul for what.. a few more years? Meh, I'll just die now?

No you stay and fight.

Value human life

manda.
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I would do what I had to do to save my baby.
kzuehlk
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM
My cousin's son was born the day after mine weighing only 1lb 4oz and had a hole in his heart. They did everything they could to save him and he's now almost 4 years old. He has no major disabilities. He walked before my son did. He's in a special preschool to help him catch up on his speech and learning, but he is an absolutely fantastic kid!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM
It would depend on the type of disability we are talking about. If they were a vegetable on life support than no I wouldn't. If we are talking about a wheel chair or some degree of learning and emotional disabilities than yes I would.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)