Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just dont know what to do PLEASE HELP ME

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
1 mom liked this
My bf's dd is 11. She was diagnosed with adhd when she was in 2nd grade. her father and i have been together for a few months and just moved in together. she is having a VERY difficult time with the transition. i also have an almost 5 year dd that she is extremely jealous of.

she calls her mom and says we arent giving her attention, that were not being fair etc. my bf and i make a constant concious effort to be fair with EVERYTHING. theres just no pleasing this kid! She has tantrums and back talks the whole nine yards.

ive heard about other types of therapy. because my bf and i dont want to just keep throwing drugs at her. so can you ladies please tell me whats helped your children with adhd adjust to new situations and what types of therapies there in. also what kind of meds theyre on and what dosage. i would really appreciate the help here
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vindicated
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM

my oldest is in therapy once a week. as well as an at home family therapist. she was off meds for a while but is back on. im not sure exactly what med she is back on. i think its vyvanse again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM
What type of therapist? Is there any coping skills you can suggest? Im totally new to adhd. my dd is nothing like my bf's dd and i just want to help her with this transition

Quoting vindicated:

my oldest is in therapy once a week. as well as an at home family therapist. she was off meds for a while but is back on. im not sure exactly what med she is back on. i think its vyvanse again.

Mommysmadae
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM
6 moms liked this
My son is ADHD and is on vyvanse. But what you are describing sounds more like brat syndrome. She needs discipline not more meds.
vindicated
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM

she does activities with her. talks about feelings. they talk about coping mechanisms. the family therapist sees her AND her sisters at home. ( my situation, its understandable) she has bad moments. anger is her biggest thing. she has rapid mood cycles. but shes growing up into a very nice little lady. something we have found is that i used to be upset when she was having a bad day and angry. something i read on here talked about kids being HUMAN , so why is it ok for us adults to have bad days but not children? i find if we let her go in her room or a closet to settle herself down it works good. let her get the anger out in a safe enviroment.

Quoting Anonymous:

What type of therapist? Is there any coping skills you can suggest? Im totally new to adhd. my dd is nothing like my bf's dd and i just want to help her with this transition

Quoting vindicated:

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Doesn't sound like adhd to me. Sounds like she's having trouble with the changes. Routines. Time. A nice discussion.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I agree i dont want to do more meds. she definately has only child syndrom and is extremely selfish. My bf is on top of her and her bs and disciplines her. but im thinking more therapy may help her learn to cope and calm down

Quoting Mommysmadae:

My son is ADHD and is on vyvanse. But what you are describing sounds more like brat syndrome. She needs discipline not more meds.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Been there, done that.

The only medication that works for my daughter are Concerta and Focalin.  Both also take Prozac.  One for anxiety and the other for ODD.  They are straight A students and very well behaved.  Note that they are now in their teens and went through a lot of the things you mentioned.  You can also try behavioral therapy.  It didnt work for my ODD kid but it helped with the anxiety kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I should also mention that when they were younger I kept them both very busy with dance, gymnastics, karate, and other sports.

Mommysmadae
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Therapy can help her learn coping skills and also help her with the changes in her life. But constant discipline is also needed so that she won't grow up thinking its ok to behave this way.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree i dont want to do more meds. she definately has only child syndrom and is extremely selfish. My bf is on top of her and her bs and disciplines her. but im thinking more therapy may help her learn to cope and calm down

Quoting Mommysmadae:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM
My bf took just her yesterday to play tennis and then frozen yogurt. he had a talk with her about how my dd and i werent going anywhere and this is the new family dynamic so she needs to fet used to it. (in a soft gently way of course) then we all went and got pizza and it was my bf birthday so i baked a cake and just her and i iced them (2 small cakes) she text her mom she wasnt getting any attention, she wanted to leave, complained we didnt eat the cake she iced. its just ridiculous and idk what to do

Quoting lnrmom:

Doesn't sound like adhd to me. Sounds like she's having trouble with the changes. Routines. Time. A nice discussion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)