Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this a lot to ask for 2nd grade home work?

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
  • 24 Replies

My daughter brought home her homework Friday....It's a project due Sept 23.

She has to make a continent. With at least 3 countries. 2 main cities in each country. The map must have latitude and Longitude lines, what the country exports (coffee Electronics etc) , 2 modes of transportation, 3 different land forms (Mountains, deserts etc) . Then she has to name it all by picking a "theme" like if she names her country Shape land, you can have circle lake and triangle mountains. Then she has to make a map of all this with everything on it (Like a poster board map, with a compass and a map key too.) 

My jaw dropped, It just seems so much for a 2nd grader!  

by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I did something like that in 3rd grade I think. School is very different these days. I had a hard time understanding my 5th grader's reading log.. I dread homework
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM

No, my son is in first grade and had a very similar project last year in kindergarten, just without the lines. Its nothing a child can't handle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM

My granddaughter did that in 1st grade.  Sounds like your dd has some liberal creative license.  So, it should be fun for her as long as she picks a theme she likes.  She has 3 weeks to do it, which should be plenty of time to decide on the theme, plan it out and create the end product.

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

It is alot, alot of work for parents.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM
I teach 2nd and have given a very similar project, without the lat/long lines. Some of my students put 2 seconds of thought into it. Some went above and beyond and did 3D maps and everything. Sounds like a good project.
EponineVader
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Oh she is excited to do it, and build it etc....I just don't ever remember things like this in 2nd grade....I guess I am just old LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

My granddaughter did that in 1st grade.  Sounds like your dd has some liberal creative license.  So, it should be fun for her as long as she picks a theme she likes.  She has 3 weeks to do it, which should be plenty of time to decide on the theme, plan it out and create the end product.

Shy_Dia
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I'm dreading homework. Thankfully ds, I'm 2nd grade, hasn't gotten any yet.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM

My daughter did nothing like that in 2nd grade.  But she went to a stupid Waldorf school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Notice I said "granddaughter", lol.  We didn't do things like that when I was in 1st grade either.  But, I'm learning through her, just how much has changed throughout the years. 

Quoting EponineVader:

Oh she is excited to do it, and build it etc....I just don't ever remember things like this in 2nd grade....I guess I am just old LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

4lilbundles
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I don't think so. It's due September 23 so break it down into parts. Have certain parts of it done by certain days and it won't seem like such a big project.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN