Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lady wouldn't give my son a cookie...wwyd?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 424 Replies
My son is 5. I have taught him please, thank you and his manners, but like all children he forgets sometimes.

On Friday my son was at his last day of camp. A girl who looked in her early 20s was passing out special cookies they brought in. The camp director told me this is what went down.

My son apparently ran up and said "I want one!!!". She said "what do you say?" He said "give me one!" She told him that he needed to use his manners. He refused to say please and she refused to give him a cookie.

My son cried afterwards and the other kids were asking why he didn't get one too. I know he should have used his manners, but I think he got defensive after being embarrassed she called him out.

I was upset with the director but she backed up the girl and her actions. What would you have done?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM
172 moms liked this

I would have told my kid, "This is why I work so hard to teach you manners. They are important. Better luck remembering the correct way to speak next time."

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM
27 moms liked this

I would have a stern talk with my son for being such a little shit. 

Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM
32 moms liked this

good for the Counselor & the Director. Your DS learned an important lesson.

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM
18 moms liked this
He refused to say please, she refused the cookie. I would do nothing. Next time my son would know to say please.
periwinkle163
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
12 moms liked this

I would have sided with the teacher. She gave him several opportunities to do the right thing and he chose not to, so no cookie.

Sj218
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
13 moms liked this
I would have backed up the camp worker. No manners, no cookie. It's a good lesson to learn. I would only be upset if he went back and appologized and asked politely for a cookie and was still not given one.
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Every time I ever received a free cookie, I was always asked "what do you say?"

Even at Halloween celebrations every single person asks the kids " What do you say?" It wasn't really calling him out...
SavdNSanctified
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
8 moms liked this

She didn't "call him out". She asked him to use his manners and he refused. He was very rude instead. If it were my child, I would have totally been on the lady's side on this.

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Counselor was right. Manners should have been used and he was even reminded to do so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry, but I think she was right... You said it, he refused to say please. That was very rude. From what you say, she didn't say anything wrong or offensive, just that he had to use his manners... And he refused. I think her actions were spot on.

On a lighter note, I'm reminded of the soup nazi, lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)