Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Exs girlfriend asked if they could pay less child support since she is having a baby now. UPDATE - spoke to ex

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 195 Replies
My ex has been with his girlfriend for two years and she recently found out she is expecting. I have never had an issue with her before she is kind to my kids doesn't usually create drama.

My ex pays child support although we agreed on an amount that fitted both our budgets not the full amount I am technically entitled too.

Today when she dropped the kids off she asked if she could come in and talk for a couple minutes. Not a huge deal I figure something had happened with the kids over the weekend. Nope she actually asked if since they are having a baby of their own if they could pay less each month. I told her I would have to think about it.

I am not really sure how to react. Part of me is pissed just because he is having another baby doesn't mean he doesn't have to honor his responsibilities to his current children and part of me understands babies/kids cost money.

How would you react? I am pretty surprised SHE had the audacity to ask me not him! UPDATE I spoke to my EX this morning - he did NOT know that she was asking me this. He said it is something they had discussed but he wasn't going to ask me. He also said that they had planned on asking if we could make some changes to the custody schedule once the baby is born to allow the kids more time with their new sibling. Which I am totally ok with - I want my kids to have a relationship with their half sibling. I told him that for me to take a cut in child support just isn't feasible right now but I am happy to work with him to make the changes as easy as possible for everyone involved. He said he would talk to GF about it and agreed that she was out of line to approach me about it.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetsmum
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM
12 moms liked this

If that's what she wants, she needs to take the initiative to go to court and get it done. If the court allows it, there is nothing you could do. There is no way I would just roll over for her, though.

CountryStrong84
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM
4 moms liked this
if tell her tough shit.
CountryStrong84
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
id*
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't go for it, but I'm a bitch.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM
6 moms liked this

Umm no that's not your problem.    It doesn't make your childs needs any less expensive. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM
2 moms liked this

You are not entitled to any CS. The CHILD is. 

With that being said, no, I do not think the amount your ex pays should be lowered due to him having another child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM
If we went to the courts he would probably end up paying me more not less. We both make good money I only get child support to cover his half of child care and sports that the kids do. He doesn't pay me anywhere near what a court could order him too.

Quoting sweetsmum:

If that's what she wants, she needs to take the initiative to go to court and get it done. If the court allows it, there is nothing you could do. There is no way I would just roll over for her, though.

Anonymous
1 mom liked this

actually, I know courts in my state actually take other kids into consideration when coming up with a ordered amount!  So techincially, if you went ot court, she very well could have done this.

Anonymous
I guess it'd depend on how much he was paying right now. Like if he's paying a couple grabs a month, I'm sure- hopefully- you could survive lowering it. Of it's only $100 a month or so.... I'dsay no way.

Check your expenses and go from there
Anonymous
1 mom liked this
Nope. Just nope.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)