Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You do not NEED two incomes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 836 Replies
20 moms liked this
For the most part. You do not NEED expensive t.v.s, cell phones, video games, I pads, I pods,cars,vacations, homes, clothes, and any other toys. These are things you WANT. If you really say down and removed and downgraded all of these things to a level of what you actually NEED many families would not need two jobs.
On the surface many will disagree, but it's fact.
We try to "keep up with the Joneses".
When all that really matters is that we have safe , comfortable, clean homes, food, clothing ( doesn't require high priced labels) and healthy children.
How much would the basics run you ?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustFox
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:07 PM
actually we do right now. we wouldnt be able to make our bills of the rent, electric and gas. we have to hve the ac running for our daughters health.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM

about what we pay now we don't have extra other than phones being that we don't have a land line we do need. and we are a single income home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM
5 moms liked this
The basics would run us about $4000 a month.

Well I class retirement savings as a need, id rather not be dependent on the government in my old age. In order to retire at a decent age, both of us need to putting away right now.
fairyjester
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM
13 moms liked this

well say that one income is only 8 bucks an hour which comes to less then 1300  a month before taxes.

do you really think a family of say 4 can live on that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM
39 moms liked this

My DH brings home $2000 a month. His pay was cut in 2008 and pay freezes have remained in effect this entire time. Our necessary bills are about $1700 a month (not including groceries).

We live in a small townhome with two PAID OFF cars too. We  never take vacations. We'd be in the red if I didn't have my income.

I add $3800 a month to our bank account. Since we both work, we live comfortably. Our children have all of their needs met, and we don't worry about where our next meal will come from. My kids DESERVE that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM
57 moms liked this
We don't need college savings, good medical insurance, emergency savings account or retirement either but I would rather work and have it.
liveforever
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM
12 moms liked this
We could live on one income but I like working. I feel useless just sitting at home all day. I just have a part time job with very flexible hours. I can work 5 hour shifts while dd is in school and no need for after care.
gemikris82
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM
11 moms liked this

we live on long island, everything is expensive here. we need two incomes. 

CelestialSong
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM
2 moms liked this

No, we don't need two incomes. That's why we only have one :) Although we still have things we want, but we budget pretty carefully to make sure we can actually afford them. 

luckystars2012
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM
3 moms liked this
I've lived on much less, as a single mother and didn't use welfare.

Quoting fairyjester:

well say that one income is only 8 bucks an hour which comes to less then 1300  a month before taxes.

do you really think a family of say 4 can live on that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured