Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the point of going to school if you're going to be a sahm?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies
I've never understood this. Why would someone go to school and only ever plan on being a sahm? Why waste the money? I see it all the time on here "I don't ever plan on going back to work but I take classes full time online"

Why bother?

I was a sahm while I did the first year if schooling. But I planned on going back to work. Being a sahm was only to allow me time to get through the hardest part of my schooling then after that I went back to work to have a career.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Why do you care? It's their money.
Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM
2 moms liked this
As a back up plan, anything could happen. Divorce or dh could die, dh getting laid off or injured and can't work....
kaycersmom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Because they want to lol some people like learning

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM

It's a back up plan.

Of course, my feeling is you should complete your schooling BEFORE you get married or have kids.  And be on your own, supporting yourself in a career ALL before getting married, and definately before having kids.

Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Gives them something to fall back on if their husband dies or suddenly turns into a douche. 

CrimsonEleven
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM
2 moms liked this
I think this quote makes an excellent point on the subject:

“I was in Nashville, Tennessee last year. After the show I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me: 'Hey, whatcha readin' for?' Isn't that the weirdest fuckin' question you've ever heard? Not what am I reading, but what am I reading FOR? Well, goddamnit, ya stumped me! Why do I read? Well . . . hmmm...I dunno...I guess I read for a lot of reasons and the main one is so I don't end up being a fuckin' waffle waitress.” -Bill Hicks
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM
One should always have a backup plan. Education is never a waste IMO. It's SMART.
KrissyKC
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I never went to college.   Finished high school, and my Dad told me if I went to college that I had to move out and they wouldn't support me.   However, if I did the "right" thing and got a job, then I could live at home another year or two rent free.   He told me that I wasn't fit for college.

The kicker?  Yes, I'm a SAHM.. but I also home-edjamucate my kids... LOL!! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM
At that point though tenor education is so out of date they will have to take refreshers or possibly certifications etc to be up to date. Then they have to do it all over again.

Quoting Mommynwife26:

As a back up plan, anything could happen. Divorce or dh could die, dh getting laid off or injured and can't work....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Maybe they just like to keep themselves educated, just in case. A back up plan? Something to do? They want the financial aid? Doesn't change my life in any way, so I don't care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)