Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorce and holidays?!?!

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 64 Replies
Short version is that Dh and bm worked out their own schedule for holidays in the past. Last thanksgiving bm decided she no longer wanted to share holidays and work out an agreement different from state guidelines.

Well, ncp (bm) gets Labor Day and thanksgiving in odd years.
Cp (dh) gets Halloween and Christmas.

We have not observed Labor Day as a holiday that falls under the holiday schedule in the past. However, this year bm has decided she WILL get Labor Day. Does that mean we now default to Halloween and Christmas for the second year? And does she have an argument to come back and throw a fit in a couple months when she figures out that she just changed the holiday schedule for the rest of the year?
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Hufflepuff on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Sounds like y'all need to go back to court, she can't flip flop like that
dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM
She's the ncp. So technically Labor Day and thanksgiving ARE her holidays this year.

But if we wouldn't have recognized Labor Day, she would have gotten Halloween and Christmas. We were going to cooperate with her since she didn't get either of those holidays last year. But I guess Labor Day is better than spending Christmas with ss?? I don't really get the reasoning

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

Sounds like y'all need to go back to court, she can't flip flop like that
dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Bump for help.
EvaTheDiva2
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I'd tell her fuck off and go back to court.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM
If the court order says it then yes. This is why you never change schedules without court order being changed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM
It's actually better for us. She's the noncustodial parent. But I don't think she realizes that this changes the whole schedule, and it'll be a shit show when she realizes she doesn't get Christmas again

Quoting EvaTheDiva2:

I'd tell her fuck off and go back to court.
dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM
The co says they state guidelines will be followed UNLESS the parents both agree on a deviation from that schedule.

Bm's just going to be PISSED when she figures out that Christmas is the custodial parent's (dh) holiday....

Quoting Anonymous:

If the court order says it then yes. This is why you never change schedules without court order being changed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't let her deviate from the CO whenever she felt like it... Less arguments and headaches... She does t like it? Tough she can go to court and change it. Who cares if you view a certain day a holiday... Stick to the agreement...
SweetPea2004
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I don't understand why people deviate from a standard. Labor Day is not a "holiday" per say, dd is with my ex till 6 because it was his normal weekend. We switch thanksgiving and Christmas every year.

dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM
She's not deviating yet. She's the ncp and Labor Day is her holiday.

But when she figures out she doesn't get Christmas this year, she's going to flip shit... She won't take Dh to court, because right now she doesn't have to pay child support. Dh gave her a waiver in the court order that said she didn't have to pay for a year... And next time they go to court, her year will be up.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't let her deviate from the CO whenever she felt like it... Less arguments and headaches... She does t like it? Tough she can go to court and change it. Who cares if you view a certain day a holiday... Stick to the agreement...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)