Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I wrong?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
I work third shift front desk at an independent living faculty. One of my jobs is to collect the trash the residents put outside their apartment doors. Is it wrong of me to bring some of it home? I recently brought home a Blu-Ray/DVD player someone had put out for trash just in case it worked. I set it up today and it does! It's Insignia brand. I'm watching a DVD on it right now to make sure it doesn't start skipping at some point but so far it works perfect. Am I wrong to bring home things the residents are throwing out? The youngest resident we have is over 60.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
glorytojehovah
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I don't think so but what does your job say?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM
There's nothing about taking things put out for trash but we can't take gifts from the residents. It's not a gift if they are throwing it out, right?
Quoting glorytojehovah:

the_dude
by abides on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

fuck no dude. 

glorytojehovah
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM

No, it's definately not a gift lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

There's nothing about taking things put out for trash but we can't take gifts from the residents. It's not a gift if they are throwing it out, right?
Quoting glorytojehovah:

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I don't see how that's wrong...they're throwing it away...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thunderbug75
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

One man's trash is another's treasure!

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Ask your boss
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

The woman that put the player out is 64. She put out the remote and both manuals that go with it as well as the box to another player. I figured it was broke but brought it home to find out for sure.

I've also brought home food that's been thrown out still in sealed packages with upcoming expiration dates. I seriously don't know why most of these people bother buying meal making foods. We have a dining facility and they end up throwing entire trash bags of food out. I never pass up the food.  I bring home a trash bag of food every other week or so.

I've also brought home potted plants that get thrown out as soon as the flowers start to wilt. That's how my front garden looks so good :-)

Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Well since you work in an independent living facility, isn't it the case that some of your residents may not have the intellectual capacity to realize they are throwing away something that is not broken?

Wouldn't the human thing to do be to make sure they really meant to throw it away, and not simply didn't understand, before you start taking things from seniors or the otherwise mentally or physically disabled?

I do think rummaging through seniors trash to see what goodies there are is pretty tastesless.  My husband also works in such a facility so I know how easily they could throw something away they did not mean to.

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I would think taking "trash" home would be ok.  I mean, if you took it out to the dumpster, anyone could go in and take it....so you are just skipping the stinky part of things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)