Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

stay at home forever?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM
  • 30 Replies

Do any of you stay home with kids in school?  What do you do while they are at school?  Do you find that you can keep busy with volunteer work?  Who plans on never going back to work?

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM
3 moms liked this

The kids don't need me home any less just because they are all in school full-time.  Kids get sick, there are holidays and summer break, there are conferences and events during the day.  If I was working, I would have to take time off and/or work our lives around someone else's schedule.  No thanks.

My kids have all been in school for many years - the youngest has been in school for 7 years.  Before DH and I even married we agreed that if we were blessed with children, I would be a SAHM.  And that I would stay home until all the kids were grown and on their own....then I would be a SAHWife - taking care of DH, the house and being available to help with our grand kids if the kids want/need me.

I keep busy with volunteering, hobbies, getting all my errands done kid free, hanging out with friends, and getting stuff done around the house in peace.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM
I wish! Lol though I will most likely have to work forever so we can afford our life. It's ok, but I really do miss being home sometimes. I'm pregnant again and my DH and I talked about it and there's just no way we could afford our bills with just his income. It makes me sad sometimes but that's life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes I do.  I have 2 grown children and 2 in HS.  I do whatever I want after I get the house chores done.  I shop a lot and volunteer at the library.  I plan on never going back to work and will be a SAHG if my kids need me to be

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

We homeschool. Although my eldest is in a special private school for the next year or two, her younger brothers are home indefinitely and she will be back home for high school.

Even if they were in school, I would probably be home, on some level. Elementary schools are out by 2:30; middle and high schools by 3:00; there are sick days, holidays, summers, etc. There is still housework that needs to be done and volunteer hours to be fulfilled at schools (as well as other places).

I haven't entirely ruled out going back to school/work if all of the children are ever in brick and mortar school, but I'm not sure how it would be possible given the time schools get out, the holidays, sick days, and the summers. The children would be stuck in summer programs and after care programs until dinner time and that isn't something we want.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Both mine are in school. I have no plans to go to work. I shop, have manis, lunch with friends, etc.
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM
I stay at home and my dd is in school. I stay busy with friends, reading, housework, Netflix and I am going to try to learn to sew. I do have a lot of free time but it is important to my family that I be here for school vacations, snow days, holidays, etc. My dd has autism and can be challenging so we don't want to have her at a sitters.
msjoecool
by Crissy on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM
I have one in school and one home. I have no plans to return to work ever. My children and home are my job. I will be involved in their schools. At some point we'll become an active foster home again.
2Sparrows4ever
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Yes, I do whatever I want, I used to volunteer but do not any longer, I'm okay with no paycheck and DH has supported us for 23 years so no I do not plan to go to work, our youngest is a junior in HS
ilovemykids323
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I've always wonder too... I will be going back to work when my youngest is in school but I was always curious as to what SAHMs did when they didn't have kids around because cleaning house everyday probably wouldn't take that long without kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM
My son is in 4th. I volunteer in his classroom and drive on his field trips. A typical day is get up, make breakfast, drive to school, run, shower, prep for dinner, laundry daily, clean what needs to be cleaned, pay bills that need paying, errands, pick him up after school, snack then homework then start cooking dinner.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)