Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need a cheap mom car

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Me and DH have a car and a motorcycle. I have 2 kids but I am about to start babysitting 2 more kids (for money) and we just found out that I am pregnant. Me and my DH planned on getting a new (used but new to us) car anyway because the weather is often too bad for him tor ride the motorcycle to work but now that I have a child in kindergarten, I can't just stay home that day so that he can take the car. But now it is a must because I only have a 5 seater car and none of the kids are old enough for the front seat. Since we still have a loan out on our first car and will till May.  Therefore, aright now, we can only get approved for about $10,000. It will take us about 3 years to pay this off so obviously, we need it to run for at least 3 years, if not longer. With our limited budget we will likely have to get a car with a high mileage on it already (most cars in our price range have about 100k on them already) so we need a car that is known to last a long time and run well at a high mileage. Any suggestions? We need something that will seat at least 6 people and have room for a double stroller in the back or  trunk

Any suggestions?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM
If you can't find a decent car for 10,000 then y'all got problems. Seriously
VinVanMom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

We bought our Mpv van for six grand with 80,000 miles on it. Cheap to drive and insure. Seats seven. You can put the oldest up front if all other seat are being used. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM
You can get a decent minivan for $10000. You will not be able to find an suv easily.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I found plenty of cars online but the problem is, we need a mini van, SUV or a larger crossover (the one with the 3ird row) and most of those are more. The ones that are $10,000 or less have high mileage and I worry about if it will fun even long enough for us to pay it off.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you can't find a decent car for 10,000 then y'all got problems. Seriously

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

The oldest is only 6 and in a 5 point harness carseat so up front wouldn't work. I'll check out that van though

Quoting VinVanMom:

We bought our Mpv van for six grand with 80,000 miles on it. Cheap to drive and insure. Seats seven. You can put the oldest up front if all other seat are being used. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I figured. I really rather a mini van because I don't want to deal with the hassel of folding up the seats that you have to deal with in SUVs since all the kids are so little

Quoting Anonymous:

You can get a decent minivan for $10000. You will not be able to find an suv easily.

VinVanMom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM

The back fits a double stroller..we were going to get an SUV but the stroller wouldn't fit..

Quoting Anonymous:

The oldest is only 6 and in a 5 point harness carseat so up front wouldn't work. I'll check out that van though

Quoting VinVanMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I noticed that. My mom used to have a Ford Expedition and if you want to put anything bigger then an umbrella stroller in the back, you have to fold down the third row seat. She hated it

Quoting VinVanMom:

The back fits a double stroller..we were going to get an SUV but the stroller wouldn't fit..

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting VinVanMom:

dommad2
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM
What state are you in? Around here you can easily get a used minivan with lower miles for under 10.

Quoting Anonymous:

I figured. I really rather a mini van because I don't want to deal with the hassel of folding up the seats that you have to deal with in SUVs since all the kids are so little

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)