Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coconut milk for baby instead of whole milk?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
Has anyone considered this? I have heard coconut milk has more nutritional benefits than cows milk so I have been thinking about offering that to my dd when she turns one instead. I obviously need to do more research about it but I don't see how cows milk is really all that great, even the organic stuff you can't fully trust. I started puberty at age 9 and I think part of it was all the hormones in the milk I was drinking. I don't want my dd to have that happen to her. I mean obviously I'd still give her some whole milk but certainly not in the extreme high amounts pediatricians seem to be recommending..
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DontH8
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Milk is not even a necessity
Krysta622
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM
My ds drank almond milk, he couldn't tolerate cow milk. He's fine with it now though. Milk of any kind isn't ever necessary, though, as long as they're eating a balanced diet.
Newmom8912
by Crystal on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM
This!
Last night dh was flipping out bc ds only had 1 cup of milk left
Um he is 1 and a half he will be ok

Quoting DontH8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cmgmqmmom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM
I think not giving her whole milk is your choice. I do think basing it on your anecdotal assumption that milk made you experience puberty at nine is not the right thing. Plenty of little girls drink milk and go through puberty at the average time.
DontH8
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM
My kids never had milk and are perfectly fine.

Quoting Newmom8912:

This!

Last night dh was flipping out bc ds only had 1 cup of milk left

Um he is 1 and a half he will be ok

Quoting DontH8:

zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Coconut milk will give her diarrhea bad.  My daughter was started on milk at age one and she didn't start her period till age 13.  The fatty acids in milk is beneficial for myelin which is the fatty sheath that surrounds the brain.  When my daughter was little we had our milk delivered, it was hormone free and tasted great

Liz132
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Cows milk makes my toddler sick he never has it and is very healthy. He gets milk from his own mother not a calves mother.

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I gave dd goat milk instead of whole cows milk. Mostly because she had a milk intolerance.
casanderson1
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM

My 18 month old LOVES almond milk,

we dont drink cows milk because it is disgusting.

http://www.realityofnature.com/eating-habits/6-reasons-to-stop-drinking-milk-today/

cfcf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Dds dietician suggested coconut milk since see didn't tolerate milk protein. She also said coconut oil was good to cook with or even add a little to her oatmeal because it was a good fat.

She mentioned that coconut has been linked to healthy brain development or some ish like that, lol. She had nothing but good things to say about coconuts.

I would research if replacing it altogether is ok, obviously coconuts and cows are not in the same category. I think I read something about anemia and coconut milk, but you have to watch for that and cows milk too.

I've heard goats milk is really good for you, and the closest thing to breast milk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)