Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Letting your kid walk/take transit by themselves to school

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM
  • 14 Replies

So at what age would you allow (or did allow) your child to get to school by themselves? My husband and I are of differing opinion on this. He thinks that 5 or 6 is fine but I'd rather wait until my kids are a bit older or able to walk with an older sibling. I know that it can depend on what route your kid would take to get to school but I've heard of parents driving their teenagers one block to school!

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Lots of my students walk home. I don't think any less of their parents but that terrifies me. 

I do let her take the school bus. She's in 1st grade.

bcoll
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

My two oldest started walking in middle school, the walk is about 10 minutes. My 3rd child will do the same starting next week. The two that are still in elementary school I drive. They're still a little young (9), and while the school is about the same distance, their path would require them to cross an overpass of a busy high way.

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM
My son has taken the bus since K but his older sis rode with him. I didn't have a choice as I work.
Momniscient
by Emerald Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Depends on the kid and the situation.

My daughter is a very rule oriented child. The walk to school is less than 5 mins through walking paths and no roads. There is also a neighborhood group that go together... She is only in per k now so it's hard to say but there are many 5 and 6 year olds in our neighborhood walking to school without their parents
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM

My girl is 10 and if school was close, I would let her.

Jabojoe
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Dd started walking in 7th grade because she switched schools. Before that her private school was far away with no bus so I drove her. Ds took the bus but walked 2 blocks to the bus stop when he was in 3rd grade. This year he starts 6th and will be walking a mile to school. We live in a very safe neighborhood and there is a police officer that patrols when school is going in/letting out.
crimson417
by Emerald Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I think it depends on the child my older two walked to the bus by themselves when they were 6 but my 7 year old ds has a lot of trouble following rules so he still doesn't get to walk alone.  The bus stop is only about 5 minutes away.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

If my kids' private school was not 4.75 miles away, there were sidewalks, and they didn't have to walk across an interstate bridge here in Atlanta, I *might* consider it at 10....but... the school is just under 5 miles one way, there are no sidewalks, and they have to cross over an interstate in Atlanta soooo no. If they ever go to the public schools right behind our house, they can just walk from the house to the school yard within 2 minutes but the odds of that happening are slim to none. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

We're thinking 9 or 10.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM

My kids school does it this way. AFTER school, there needs to be someone to pick them up. In first and second grades, there is a real transfer. In third grade it turns into-there is my Mom and off they go.  They can also be given permission to leave alone.

In Fourth  grade the kids leave the building by themselves.

sO any age can WALK to school. But only a 3rd grader with permission-or a 4th grader or older can leave without being turned over to a parent or guardian.

My youngest started walking to school and coming home alone last year.  He can cross the one road easily by himself.  MANY kids walk along that route-so he isn't exactly alone either.

He was 10 when he started going there alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)