Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No one is getting educated!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 92 Replies

My school mainstreams. I have no problem with mainstreaming Special Education, I think the idea is great. However, the way it is playing out doesn't seem to work, IMO.

I am a brand new teacher,I got hired three days into the new school year. Many, many people have told me that my first year teaching, the kids learn in spite of me, not because of me. Yes, I have a degree and am certified but my real education begins now. I'm all up for that. 

We have soo many SPED kids at our school, I don't understand why all teachers aren't required to have SPED certification. If you don't know anything about SPED, this is what I have discovered so far:

First, SPED covers a huge range of abilities. I have kids that are very high functioning and many that are not. We also have separate campuses depending on their level of ability.

Next, for the kids who are mainstreamed, several of them are supposed to have "In-class support" which means that a person with SPED certification is supposed to be in class with them. However, the ICS (in class support paraprofessional- sped certified) is only assigned to be with each child for a certain amount of time per week. The max I have seen is 90 minutes.

So, 90 minutes for 8 different classes over the period of a week. What this means is that the SPED certified teacher (which, btw, I found out that many of the ones I work with don't even consider themselves teachers. They feel like babysitters) only spends about 5 minutes per day in certain classes- their core content classes.

I'm not even going to rant and rave about this taking time away from other students because I do think that with more experience, I will get better at it. And we have some teachers who are not SPED certified who are amazing with these kids.

I just don't feel like any of them are getting the appropriate education. It's week one and I feel like I'm failing my kids. Is 5 minutes of in class support really the best we can do to help them?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM

So, are you saying that your school doesn't separate special needs kids into their own classes?

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you 100%! That's why we're now in a private school. 

Smokeygirl
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Unfortunately, mainstreaming dilutes the resources. No school district has the money to fully mainstream with adequate support IMO. It is unfair, but the reality. The best piece of advice I got my first year was that if you can make it to November you'll be ok!! Tears and feeling like a failure are part of the first year lol, year two was so much better :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

So, are you saying that your school doesn't separate special needs kids into their own classes?

Kind of, yes. I won't pretend to understand all of it. Basically, there are some kids who are mainstreamed. For their core content classes (math, science, language arts and social studies), they are in regular classes. They might take other classes that are designed for people with special needs, such as life skills or adaptive behavior. We do have some separate classes, it just depends on the child's ability. Many of the children with physical needs are in separate classes but not all of them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Our school of 4000 went to this ridiculous model as well.  It's a nightmare.  The truth is the general ed teachers are doing the best that they can, but the sped kids are not getting serviced.  It's crazy!

petie1104
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM
You aren't making me feel confident about dd's education.

I'm sorry you feel that you aren't doing enough, but, at least for now, you may have I attempt to work within the system as it is now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Quoting Smokeygirl:

Unfortunately, mainstreaming dilutes the resources. No school district has the money to fully mainstream with adequate support IMO. It is unfair, but the reality. The best piece of advice I got my first year was that if you can make it to November you'll be ok!! Tears and feeling like a failure are part of the first year lol, year two was so much better :)

Thank you for the advice. I haven't cried yet and I'm shocked. LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Quoting petie1104:

You aren't making me feel confident about dd's education.

I'm sorry you feel that you aren't doing enough, but, at least for now, you may have I attempt to work within the system as it is now.

:( 

I will work with it. I will learn as much as I can. It almost makes me want to go into SPED just to help those kids get the services they need. I just don't feel confident, either.

queencreekmom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Are you saying they are only going to resource for 5 minutes?  I'm confused. I have 6 sped kids and 3 go to resource for reading/writing/math. They go for 50 minutes for math and 90 for reading/writing. They do the other subjects in my room. I do get an aide to help for 30 minutes a day. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Another reason why people homeschool..they are tired of dealing with crap like this...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)