Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 12 Replies

If the principal of your child's school said he was going to take your son to the local pet store some day after school to shop for a pet that your son would be responsible for in the classroom and to teach the other kids how to care for it, etc.

What would you do/what would your reaction be?

Edited to add -

The pet would be a guinea pig and the choice was made because your son has guinea pigs at home already and knows how to properly care for them.

Editing again to answer a few questions/respond to points made -

The principal made this offer when we were in the office with him and our son.  So, both DH and I are fully aware and the principal did ask if the idea was ok with us.

We feel the responsibility at school will be good for DS.  DS is in 5th grade.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrownEyedGirl86
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM
No way would anyone be taking my child anywhere unless I agreed
km1970
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I would suggest that my son and I would meet the principal at the local pet store. I would want to know what pet he would be responsible for so I could reinforce how to properly care for the animal. 

etsmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

This. No one is going to take my kid off of school property without my consent. I would be ok with meeting at a pet store.

Quoting km1970:

I would suggest that my son and I would meet the principal at the local pet store. I would want to know what pet he would be responsible for so I could reinforce how to properly care for the animal. 

Speak Softly and Sweetly; Later You May Have To Eat Your Own Words
TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I edited my OP.  

The pet would be a guinea pig.  That was chosen because that is what the child has as pets at home and knows proper care for.

Quoting km1970:

V.Dubbya
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM
This. And my principal would learn this very quickly.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM

um no...there is no reason for the principal to take your kid. you and your son could meet him there, but there is no way i would let him take my son alone. there is just no reason for it and it seems inappropriate.

frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I would think that should be cleared with the parent first to see if 1. your child could leave and go somewhere with the principal and 2. you even want your child to have that kind of responsibility at school.   

poshkat
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I would laugh at the teacher and tell them that unless they come to my house and take care of it there is now way that's ever happening
BrownEyedGirl86
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I think it's highly inappropriate for a teacher/principal to even suggest this

Quoting V.Dubbya:

This. And my principal would learn this very quickly.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I will edit my OP again....but wanted to answer your points -

1- the principal is asking us, we were there when he offered to take DS

2- we think the responsibility at school will be very good for DS

Quoting frankiesma530:

I would think that should be cleared with the parent first to see if 1. your child could leave and go somewhere with the principal and 2. you even want your child to have that kind of responsibility at school.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)