Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
My six year old doesn't have a dominate hand to write. He switches back and forth, sometimes in the middle of a word. He doesn't understand why he can't write with both. It is making his handwritting suffer greatly and I am at my wits end.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sj218
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM
My son did that. He is ambidextrous still, but writes with his right hand exclusively now. He went to a private kindergarten that taught cursive. That's when he chose which hand to write with. Because cursive is continuous flow, he couldn't just switch.

He bats with both hands, golfs left, shoot his bow and arrow left, pitches right...it's very confusing. Lol
LiesLiesLies
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM
This is how I was as well!

Quoting Sj218:

My son did that. He is ambidextrous still, but writes with his right hand exclusively now. He went to a private kindergarten that taught cursive. That's when he chose which hand to write with. Because cursive is continuous flow, he couldn't just switch.

He bats with both hands, golfs left, shoot his bow and arrow left, pitches right...it's very confusing. Lol

tnt-manda
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Im like this, I write left...everything else with my right. I wish I knew what to tell you.
MrsLadyDae
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The school should be able to assist you with that. I think they have occupational therapy that will help him with his handwriting, holding the pencil, and such.

Not having a dominate hand isn't such a bad thing. Heck that makes him special.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Can you do an exercise where you make him sit on his other hand so he can not switch? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

are you stopping him from writing with both and that's why his writing suffers or is it his constant changing that makes it suffer?

blues_pagan
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

He is ambidextorous.  Leave it be and try to teach him how to use both hands.

marihla
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Just let him do it how he`s comfortable. It will work itself out or he will be ambidextrous.

momto3nuts
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Let him write how he is comfortable. Just make him practice a word that has poor handwriting. Using both hands can be beneficial later in life, poor handwriting can be remedied.

mom2acutiepie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM
My son does the same thing. I don't stress over it. As he has been going through school he has started using one hand more to write with.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)