Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you send a 6yr old with a cough, probably starting to get a cold, to school?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 12 Replies
Dd is 6, 1st grade, complaining of sore throat the last few nights, this morning she wakes up coughing, stuffed nose, her voice has that nasally sound to it...... Do I send her to school? When do u keep them home verses send them to school? Most likely she's gonna be worse tomorrow.... Definitely don't think severe enough to go to dr but i always feel bad ... For how she feels and worry about getting others sick... But she probably got it from school anyways so...
What do you think?
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KennyPooPoo22
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM
We are only allowed 5 days per semester that they can miss without a doctors note. Unless they have a fever, they go to school.
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM

My 8 year old was out 3 days last week (the 1st 3 days of school) with fever, sore throat, and croup.  The fever and sore throat are gone. But he will have the remnants of the croup for a couple of weeks. The doctor cleared him to go to school so he's starting tomorrow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM
If others have been sick with it and it has a history of being a bad cold with a fever I would keep her home.

I have been a parent for 17 years and have been working with children for just as long. I know if you catch the illness soon and take care of it there is less chance of spreading and the child recovers faster.

We had a HORRIBLE cold with fever run through our home daycare. Children were popping fevers and were ill for a long time.
momto3nuts
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM

If my children don't feel well, I keep them home regardless of school policy or the need to go to a doctor. Sometimes rest and good judgement are in order..

DJ619P
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I haven't heard anyone say anything about the kids having fevers... Just a cold, cough, stuffy nose... She's playing w her sister outside so she obviously feels ok now.. Just knowing the stuffiness, the cough, usually get worse before they get better, but she might have a cough for weeks like they have in the past, I don't see keeping her out for that long but how long? Like the active contagious period for a cold???
ewild
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

no fever no vomiting off to school they go

Fields456
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM
As long as there is no fever diarrhea or puking she goes to school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamasaurusRex
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Fever and vomiting has to be home for 24 hours. If that's not the problem, I judge the kids individually. If they're miserable, they won't be learning and I keep them home.
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM

It all depends on how she is as the day progresses.  If she is still feeling bad, I would keep her home.  She is contageous so she'd only make others sick.  I would call the school tomorrow and ask that the teacher send any school work she missed to the office to pick up and bring home.

mistie900
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Usually of my kids don't have a fever, vomiting, or diarrhea then I send them to school. It depends on how bad their throat feels and things like that too. If its a cough and a stuffy/runny nose I send them to school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)