Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am finally going to do it, and need advice on what will happen when I do.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies
Tomorrow I am going to report my employer to the Labor Board. He does A LOT of things that are illegal, and I have had enough. I have been with him since he opened up his newest store ( which was almost 8 years ago ). The last straw was Sunday, when I went to clock out.

I got off work an hour early, which was odd, but I did what the manager said, and closed out my shift, and began doing paperwork, while the second shift girl opened the area back up for her shift. I finished the paperwork, and went to clock out. When I got my timecard, I saw it had been messed with. As in the whole thing had been redone! Not a single thing had been done in my writing, not even my name! I called the manager over, and asked her about it, and she said that I stayed too long one day ( when a girl was caught in traffic and was 15-20 minutes late to work ) and was clocked in for it, so the owner had her change my timecard! She said that with me being there so late, it almost ( remember that word ) put me into overtime, and she said that he didn't want any overtime, so he had her redo the timecard, AND send me home an hour early on Sunday! I asked her if I was into overtime, and she said that I wasn't, but I almost was, and he was going to avoid it at all costs ( my over time is about $15 an hour ).

I was furious, so much so that a co-worker who has known me for years walked over to me, put his hands on my shoulders, and told me to * just breathe, and put in one of my CD's and turn the bass up * when I got in my car ( he knows music helps calm me down ). I simply clocked out, walked out to my car, put in my loudest CD, and turned the bass up as high as I could stand it.

By the time I had gotten home, I was calmed down quite a bit, but had decided that I was going to report them. Other workers have talked about it, and were stupid about talking about, and they were found out. They were also fired. They never got to report them, but I am. I'm not doing it today because I know the offices are closed. I know that when you do report them, it all anonymously. The people who investigate it will never reveal your identity to them. But that is all that I know.

If you have ever done this, or known someone who has, what happened? Did you have to go to court? Were they ( or you ) found out? Please be as detailed as possible, and thank you in advance.

BTW: I am looking for another job, and have at least 10 applications going right now, and am going to call about one tomorrow.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Punchyobuns
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM

No advice other than be prepared to get fired, sorry. Hope it works out though!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM
bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM
How would I get fired though, if they have no idea who did it? They can't fire the whole lot of us. They would have to replace almost 20 people within a matter of just a couple days, and it takes about 2 weeks to train one person.

Quoting Punchyobuns:

No advice other than be prepared to get fired, sorry. Hope it works out though!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM

not sure but good luck with everything. Hope everything works out in your favor.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

It's probably going to cost you your job, illegal as that is.  Just make sure you cover your basis and have COPIES of everything, including a time card in your writing, and a time card in the Employer's writing.

Oh, and delete this post and anything else you have said about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Thank you. I'm just worried about them finding out that it was me that reported them, and firing me, I know they can't legally do that because I'm protected by the Whistle-Blower's Act, but it's still a legit fear. I can't loose my job. Not right now. I am looking extremely hard for another one, but because nothing is hiring around here, jobs are few and far between.

Quoting Anonymous:

not sure but good luck with everything. Hope everything works out in your favor.

blues_pagan
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I would delete this post and stay silent on the issue until it is rectified.  

blue123244
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM

totally illegal - and if you are fired I think you can go to court for that too - glad you are looking for another job though - I think you are right to report to the labor board maybe you can do it anon?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM
I haven't reported an employer but I reported a public school for mistreatment of a SNs kid. They got into big trouble.

Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

My husband had to report his employer once for tampering with hours. He works for a large grocery store chain. He doesn't know what happened but he does know not long after he reported it the general manager and the assistant GM got called to the corporate office. No more tampering since.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)