Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My poor baby...I'm at a loss...

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 12 Replies
My 7 yo is bipolar 2...he sees a psych and we get family therapy and typically since his diagnosis and subsequent treatment (medications, therapy, and such) he's done pretty well. But this weekend, he snapped. He's been talking about killing himself and wanting to die and he even dissociated...said his father wanted to kill him and eat him, and was desperately trying to hide. This morning when it was time for his meds he hid in a corner trembling and said it was a "magic spell"...I bribed him with candy and he took it but still...after that he raged and tried to hurt us...bit me, punched me, kicked me...all the while screaming himself hoarse that we dont love him etc...he finally wore himself out and is asleep on the couch...we are waiting to see how he is when he wakes up and are considering taking him to the ER...but honestly the thought of him being admitted makes me sick...

Please dont bash me or hate on me, I'm scared to death for my baby...I didnt post anonymously on purpose and I am not "trolling"...actually, I think this is my first post here...
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Omg! That's so sad :( I honestly wouldn't know what to do. ((Hugs))
by HAIL NUGGY! on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

He needs professional care.... You must accept at some point that all the love in the world will not cure him or help him cope with a normal life.

Sometimes the right choices are also the hardest.

Give your son a chance at a normal life by taking control of his situation NOW.

by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm so sorry you and your family have to deal with that! If he is that volatile by all means take him. How long has he been on his meds sometimes they need to be adjusted every so often? Also, dud anything change with his diet, or did he start another med (like antibiotics or something similar) these can also cause an adverse reaction. Good luck!!
by Emerald Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I'm sorry.  He needs medical help, even if that means having him committed.

by ~yeerp~ on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

How scary and heartbreaking for you and your ds. My God mama, I hope you are able to get this under control that poor baby :(

by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I am so sorry you baby is so sick. It's obviously not under control and you need to get him some more help. Can you call his doctor and let him know he is out of control and see if they can recommend something else first (before admitting him)? If not, then admitting him might be what he needs, as much as it would pain you to do so. At some point you have to realize that your desire to keep him there can't outweight everyone else's personal safety, and it may not even be the best thing for him, either. Hugs, mama, hope you can find the strength.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM
My 7 year old is bipolar...he was officially diagnosed at 6. And he has all the umbrella conditions that go along with it. He's been hospitalized 3 times. Is he taking ADHD meds by chance? We have tried 3 different ones with my son and ALL gave him halluniations and paranoid behaviors. If you want to talk feel free to pm me
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM

You should really seek care for him before he does harm himself or someone else.  Poor little guy!  I know you don't want him admitted but it may just be what keeps him alive and safe. :( HUGS to you!!

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I am so sorry your family is going through this - he might need to be hospitalized and you would be doing the right thing imo - I know it must be so hard I really feel for you - have you contacted his psychiatrist first? usually they have an emergency number - blessings to you and your family - a lot of people don't understand how devestating mental illness can be

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM
He was diagnosed in April, after a long, uphill battle. He sees his psych sometimes twice a month. Last med adjustment was almost a month ago. He's had episodes before but he's never dissociated like this.

Our first step will be to call the on call at his psychs office. I have no qualms about doing what I have to but, ohhhhhh, my heart is breaking...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)