Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meals for 1 or 2 people

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
It is just me and my youngest son at home now. He is a very picky eater and only eats certain foods because he either doesn't like the taste or he doesn't like the texture of most foods. I am used to cooking for a family of 4. I have found it is expensive and wasteful for me to cook actual meals each night because I am generally the only one eating them. Does anyone have any ideas on small meals that I can make cheaply for just me? Would it be best for me to just buy lean cuisines for me and make my son the foods he will eat each night? I can't eat chicken nuggets, hot dogs, broccoli, fruit, tacos, sushi, breakfast foods, spaghetti, or macaroni and cheese every night.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Look on Pinterest.
New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM

How old is he?

Make freezeable foods an freeze them in portioned sizes. He will eat .. maybe not on day one or day 2.. but I promise he will eat what you have cooked. 

Don't just do lean cuisines for you... every now and then they aren't bad but living off of them.... ick... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Lean cuisines are loaded with sodium! 

RobinBright
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM
If you're going to eat Lean Cuisines, save your money and just microwave a tablespoon of salt.

The only way to broaden the palette of a picky eater is by introducing new foods consistently.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Just make normal food, in smaller portions. Cut recipes in half, eat leftovers the next day. Buy normal sizes of chicken and fish and pork and just freeze some of it for later.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Make what you like to eat like you would for 4 and freeze the leftovers to reheat on busy nights. Much better than eating all the chemicals in frozen 'diet' food. Also makes good lunch the next day too.

You can slowly get your picky eater to move on to foods you eat by making his meal but giving him a bite or two of wat you are eating. He needs to eat the bites of your chosen meal before he can eat his meal. If I remember right it takes a week or two of trying things this way for them to get used to the taste and texture.

My kids were on the picky side the way your's is but we started eating less premade and prepackaged foods and now they make people crazy when they won't eat things like mac and cheese from a box or chicken nuggets from the freezer. 

davnrori
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I asked this same question a few months ago and the consensus was: Just make smaller portions of large meals (with an implied and sometimes written "dumbass" tacked onto the end).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM
He is 9 and I generally make him try everything I cook. He has a weird thing about textures of food and he will spit them out if he doesn't like the texture. He will eat baked chicken but if the texture isn't right he will not eat it. When I do bake chicken I cut his into small bites so they look like nuggets to try to fool him. He likes spaghetti, but not lasagna or pizza. He will also only eat certain kinds of hot dogs, and macaroni and cheese. Last week I made beef stroganoff, I ate it for lunch and dinner for 2 days and then threw the rest out. I am used to feeding an army and now I am just lost. I will try freezing meals after I buy some little freezable containers. I am not big on Lean Cuisines but I found them on sale for $1.50 and figured I could eat cheap this week without wasting food.

Quoting Anonymous:

Make what you like to eat like you would for 4 and freeze the leftovers to reheat on busy nights. Much better than eating all the chemicals in frozen 'diet' food. Also makes good lunch the next day too.

You can slowly get your picky eater to move on to foods you eat by making his meal but giving him a bite or two of wat you are eating. He needs to eat the bites of your chosen meal before he can eat his meal. If I remember right it takes a week or two of trying things this way for them to get used to the taste and texture.

My kids were on the picky side the way your's is but we started eating less premade and prepackaged foods and now they make people crazy when they won't eat things like mac and cheese from a box or chicken nuggets from the freezer. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM
It's hard to make smaller meals. Everything is made to feed a family of 4. A jar of spaghetti and a package of noodles isn't packaged for a 1 person meal.

Quoting davnrori:

I asked this same question a few months ago and the consensus was: Just make smaller portions of large meals (with an implied and sometimes written "dumbass" tacked onto the end).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)