Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you make her quit?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies

I have a feeling I'm going to get bashed to hell for this, but here goes.

My daughter is 17. She is a competitive cheerleader and dancer and absolutely loves it. She is very talented and I'm very proud of her accomplishments.

My husband was laid off from his job 5 months ago. Before that, we were only surviving on 35,000/year. He recently started working fast food at minimum wage, and I took a position at the gas station to make ends meet. We are barely earning 25,000/year now.

Our baby boy is 3. We have been balancing our schedules so someone was always home, but our bosses have placed us on shifts that overlap. He is going to work 10-6, and I work 4-12. That leaves two hours unattended. The problem is, my daughter has cheer or dance practice every night until 5 at the earliest.

We obviously can't afford daycare and don't live anywhere near family. I'm at a loss with what to do. It seems that our only option is her quitting cheer to watch her brother. Would she absolutely hate me if we asked her to? What would you do?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't do it. It's not her responsibility to give up something she loves to watch him. Figure it out bc what would you do if she wasn't there.
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

yes,she will hate you.that is all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I'd be finding other arrangements for your little one.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I would find some other option.  It is not your daughters responsibility she is not his parent.

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Not sure the answer but no- I would not make her quit and take care of her brother. It's her brother, not her child. Not her responsibility. Find a friend who is willing to watch him for a couple of hours, a family member. Find somebody looking for childcare trade. Leave your daughter out of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I understand being in a pinch but that dance and cheer can lead her to getting help to go to school.

It isn't your childs job to take care of her brother. Yes, if she didn't have other things going on then fine but as you said she is doing great in it don't make her stop.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a feeling I'm going to get bashed to hell for this, but here goes.

My daughter is 17. She is a competitive cheerleader and dancer and absolutely loves it. She is very talented and I'm very proud of her accomplishments.

My husband was laid off from his job 5 months ago. Before that, we were only surviving on 35,000/year. He recently started working fast food at minimum wage, and I took a position at the gas station to make ends meet. We are barely earning 25,000/year now.

Our baby boy is 3. We have been balancing our schedules so someone was always home, but our bosses have placed us on shifts that overlap. He is going to work 10-6, and I work 4-12. That leaves two hours unattended. The problem is, my daughter has cheer or dance practice every night until 5 at the earliest.

We obviously can't afford daycare and don't live anywhere near family. I'm at a loss with what to do. It seems that our only option is her quitting cheer to watch her brother. Would she absolutely hate me if we asked her to? What would you do?

mistressflora
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Honestly, being lower income like that ( we live off a hell of a lot less than you) some sacrafises need to be made.  But before you go and do that, did you look into maybe a baby sitter that wont charge that much?  Maybe someone at one of your jobs know of someone thats looking for a few extra bucks, its only 2 hours so they may not charge that much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

If you were my parents yes, I would be seriously pissed.  However, can you really afford to keep her in these activities anyway?  

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Unless you want her to move out the day she turns 18 and never look back, you need to figure something else out.

CafeMom Tickers
KGreen75
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Yes she will hate you. Don't make your problems your child's problems. That is irresponsible and shitty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)