Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A B C's and the 2 year-old

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM
  • 92 Replies

My daughter is 2 and so I'm wanting to introduce her to letters. I know normally you start with upper case and then move onto lower. I've been going to the library and all the letter books I've found have both the upper and lower case and are far too busy! I'm looking for some basic books the would make the letters the focus and not have a bunch of confusing pictures and patterns. Is there anything like that out there?

Proud Breastfeeding, Non-Vaxing, Co-sleeping, Natural Birthing, Conservative, Christian, Stay-at-Home Mom of Two

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM

YouTube.

My kids loved watching the alphabet song etc at that age. We would go to their easel board afterwards and I would write the letters for them to see. So far they all knew their ABCs at around 2 1/2. My 22 month old son can *kind of* say them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Get some foam letters and play with them in the tub.

Scinn
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:49 PM
"My Little 'A'" books were so much fun for me! As a kid and with my own kids. Does the whole alphabet and shows upper and lower with word associations done in a story.

"Little A had a box. 'I will fill my box, said Little A.' Little A found an axe, 'In the box!' Little A found some ants, 'I will put you in my box!' So Little A put the ants in her box with the axe." Etc etc. they're really cute and you can probably get the whole series from amazon or eBay for next to nothing.

(ETA: I should probably mention my mom used these with me and by kindergarten I was reading at a 2nd grade level, by second grade I was at a 10th grade level (but I LOVE reading) and I used them with my 3 kids. My oldest was reading on the high end of K level by K, my daughter was reading at a 2nd grade level by K and my youngest boy was reading at a 1st grade level by K. My oldest has dyslexia so he struggles a bit.)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM
6 moms liked this

banging head into wall WHY do mothers want their kids to grow up so fast? At 2 they don't need to know their letters.

RaniNY
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
They have active minds, why not teach them?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM
This exactly.

Quoting Anonymous:

banging head into wall WHY do mothers want their kids to grow up so fast? At 2 they don't need to know their letters.

AjsMom0508
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM
I'm no help. My Ds learned to sign the alphabet first.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM
I'm torn, i feel like a horrible parent if my kids aren't learning numbers and letters with me. But then i think, wow, 2 is so young! But i use flash cards and play games like mommy can't reach the B, can you give mommy the B
balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Work on singing the ABC's first. There is plenty of time for her to learn the actual letters, how to recognize and write them, etc…

Qmama206
by Nobi ❤️ on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:05 PM
My son is 2 1/2 years old and he knows all his ABC and can count from 1-20. My mil constantly would play baby boost on demand (comcast) all day long before we put him in preschool and by constantly hearing it he learned it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)