Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WWYD?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM
  • 21 Replies

DD1 is 4 years old.

DH left $50 on his desk. We keep a baby gate up to his office area so the kids can't get in (he's got so much computer stuff in there, we don't one of them to get into something) so he didn't think anything of leaving the cash on his desk. He came home today and asked if I had picked up the cash on his desk and put it in my purse or something since it was gone. I told him no. He thought for hours that he lost it and was really annoyed. We asked DD1 at some point if she'd taken the money and she said she hadn't. We have no reason to assume she'd lie to us since it's not the norm for her, so we moved on.

She came to me and told me she took it, a few minutes ago, and told me she put it in her bedside table, and we went to her room and sure enough there it was. I just broke down crying...I was so upset and disappointed in her.

We were about to go on a walk to the local park but because of her lying to us, we told her we were no longer going and now she's in her room having a breakdown.

Is this kind of behavior normal for a 4 year old? WWYD in this situation? Did we do the right thing?

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Punchyobuns
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that's normal. Kids are testing their limits. The fact that she came clean says a lot about your parenting. Make sure you tell her she can always be honest like that!

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM
I'm going to lurk, my 4yo ds is going through a lying stage and I need advice too
robibuni
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Hey at least I know its an age thing!!

She's only ever lied once or twice in the past about peeing in the bed. I wasn't mad that she had an accident, I just wanted to know if she did or not and she kept lying about it :/

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

I'm going to lurk, my 4yo ds is going through a lying stage and I need advice too

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this
She was honest with you , after lying. But she came clean. So yrs you punished her.

But also thank her for coming clean. Remind her that she did the right thing by being honest with mommy and daddy. Remind her honesty is ALWAYS the best thing. Remind her had she not taken the money and not lied about it she would have been able to go to the park.

Then be done.
ramita
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Yes lieing is pretty typical for kids that age. They know if they did something wrong they'll get in trouble so they think if they just say they didn't do it that'll keep them out. For a lot of things give her an out (especially when you know she did it). For instance, say if did it and you honest you'll only get 'x' for punishment whereas if you did it and lie you'll get 'x and y' as punishment. Also, be sure to explain lieing to her and remind her how hurtful it is. Goodluck!
robibuni
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I hadn't even told her I was proud of her for being honest. I just told her though, thanks!

I want her to feel like she can always be honest with me and DH.

Quoting Punchyobuns:

I think that's normal. Kids are testing their limits. The fact that she came clean says a lot about your parenting. Make sure you tell her she can always be honest like that!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Crying and being over dramatic should help.

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I think they all go through the stage where they lie about things. All three of mine did, they have quit now though.

Quoting robibuni:

Hey at least I know its an age thing!!

She's only ever lied once or twice in the past about peeing in the bed. I wasn't mad that she had an accident, I just wanted to know if she did or not and she kept lying about it :/

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Yeah she tried to tell me earlier in the afternoon that she saw her younger sister take it. I asked if it was true and she just kept changing her story. I hadn't seen her go into DH's office all day so I had no reason to think she would've taken it. She must've done it while I was peeing or something.

I'm gonna try reminding her how hurtful it is.

Quoting ramita:

Yes lieing is pretty typical for kids that age. They know if they did something wrong they'll get in trouble so they think if they just say they didn't do it that'll keep them out. For a lot of things give her an out (especially when you know she did it). For instance, say if did it and you honest you'll only get 'x' for punishment whereas if you did it and lie you'll get 'x and y' as punishment. Also, be sure to explain lieing to her and remind her how hurtful it is. Goodluck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Ours just turned 5 and she takes little things out of our room ad hides them then lies and when she gets caught she says wasn't me... I usually put her in the corner for lying but I wish it would stop

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)