Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do your children walk to school? Does that scare you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 157 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son is only 5 but I just can't ever imagine him walking with a friend or riding a bike when he's 10/11. With soo many predators out its scary! Do you let your children walk/ bike ride to school?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I dont because it is too far, but if he went to the school in our neighborhood he would walk or ride his bike
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this
I walk my child to school right now, she's 5...I'd probably let her walk herself at 10 or so...I don't let 'what ifs' make me crazy...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
We live in a walking district and my 8 year old will be walking to school alone this year.
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM
My oldest has walked to the bus stop and now to school alone since she was seven years old. I can stand on my front porch and watch her. The school is only a half block and the school bus. Both my girls six and none ride together around the block together. I worry more about them getting hurt and me not being right there.
RobinChristine
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM

My son is special needs and bussed. however if he were typical he could and would walk, the school is 5 blocks away. However there are areas of my city where my opinion would change despite his age which is 17. We had a run of rapes last year on local  high school gals in different inner city neighborhoods

mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM

my kids have since  5th grade as the school was a bit over 2 blocks away - they are in high school now and it is so uncool to be seen with your parents (even in a new car) but again the school is less thhan 10 blocks away lol

qkforever
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Yes, it does scare me so they don't.  We live a little less1/2 mile away from dd school   My dd I drop in off in the mornings and she is with a sitter who take s her to school. Our start is too busy and just last year there was a guy that was sitting in his card talking pictures of the children at recess.  So it just reinforced my dropping her off with a sitter in the morning.    I will say my ds walks to school but that is only because his school it right next to mine and just which is a few yards away from mine.  He also walks with his friends also.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I would prefer them to walk in a group. Like 3 or more and preferable some older kids involved. For example I know a family that the kids are 14, twin 12yr olds, 8, and 5. They all walk to the school where the older ones catch the bus and the little ones get walked into the elementary school. I'd be ok with that.
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I walk them to and from school, everyday.  They are 8 and 5. Maybe middle school I will let them walk alone, we will see where we are when the time come. 

tardistraveller
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM

DS's school would be over an hour walk.  

But there is a school behind my building and last year there wa a lot of gossip about one mom who let her kid go to kinder alone, even on the first day.  It was sad.

Apparently the school had to send a letter home to let mom know it wasn't acceptable.  

Mom thought it was ok because she was watching from the balcony.  Despite the kinder door being on the back of the school.  Although I'm not sure what diffrence watching from a 10th floor balcony helps anyhow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)