Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only family income, took low paying job

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

Would you take a low paying job if it meant great benefits, excellent retention/job satisfaction, and many opportunities for career/educational advancement...if you were the only family income?

We are a family of six. My husband is a disabled vet but he is in the process of getting SSDI for an autoimmune disorder. We have been waiting 5 months for him to get approved and we know it can take many months more. Meanwhile, I've been working a higher paying job to keep us afloat but the job has no benefits. I was just offered a GREAT full time, unionized job in the non-profit sector. It's the kind of job that doesn't come along often because once people get in, they STAY in.  By all accounts, it appears to be the PERFECT fit for me. I feel extremely blessed to have seen the ad, gotten past the interview/panel stage, and gotten hired.  Problem is, they are offering only $16/hr during the probationary period and then it only goes up to $17 after that. I can't support my family on that; not being the only income. It  will be better once DH gets his SSDI, the kids will get it too, and we will have more income but that's not the reality now. So, I'm working part time nights at my higher paying job in addition to my daily job. Today I was told I was a selfish mom for taking the day job because I could make the same weekly wage in less than 3 days on my night job, and I would have more time with my family without burning myself out. They may be right. I'm willing to do both until DH gets his benefits because I know we need the extra money, and I feel sad that I am not going to be with my kids as much as I want to be, but what can you do? I believe I should have a level of job satisfaction, even if it means way low pay. Am I wrong?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM

DH and I are both unemployed right now. While we wait for him to get his contract we'd take any job right now. He should have his contract by end of October but by then we maybe dead.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would you take a low paying job if it meant great benefits, excellent retention/job satisfaction, and many opportunities for career/educational advancement...if you were the only family income?

We are a family of six. My husband is a disabled vet but he is in the process of getting SSDI for an autoimmune disorder. We have been waiting 5 months for him to get approved and we know it can take many months more. Meanwhile, I've been working a higher paying job to keep us afloat but the job has no benefits. I was just offered a GREAT full time, unionized job in the non-profit sector. It's the kind of job that doesn't come along often because once people get in, they STAY in.  By all accounts, it appears to be the PERFECT fit for me. I feel extremely blessed to have seen the ad, gotten past the interview/panel stage, and gotten hired.  Problem is, they are offering only $16/hr during the probationary period and then it only goes up to $17 after that. I can't support my family on that; not being the only income. It  will be better once DH gets his SSDI, the kids will get it too, and we will have more income but that's not the reality now. So, I'm working part time nights at my higher paying job in addition to my daily job. Today I was told I was a selfish mom for taking the day job because I could make the same weekly wage in less than 3 days on my night job, and I would have more time with my family without burning myself out. They may be right. I'm willing to do both until DH gets his benefits because I know we need the extra money, and I feel sad that I am not going to be with my kids as much as I want to be, but what can you do? I believe I should have a level of job satisfaction, even if it means way low pay. Am I wrong?

Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Waiting for people to tell you that making $16 an hour makes you rich........
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherhalf
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM
You are doing what you believe is best for your family. The only other opinion that matters is your dh's.
Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Hon, do what's best for your family and don't let what others think make you feel bad. You are working hard for your family and it's no one else's business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CorCrox
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:23 PM
I would never consider working two jobs to support your family a selfish act.
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM

The phrase "I can't support my family on that" would be an easy no for me. However, I do agree that you should have a level of job satisfaction (especially benefits!) so I would keep your current job while looking for a job that pays something you could support your family on (even if it was lower than you make now) that also has great benefits or at least better than you have currently. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

no matter what I love doing, I have to be responsible and choose a position that's going to pay the bills.  I'm miserable at the job I currently have, but I'm going to stick it out until I find something else that's a liveable wage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)