Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pregnancy and medication

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

anxiety meds and pregnancy? anyone else have stories to share of this?

no bashing, bashing and negative commenst will be ignored, not reacted too.

this is a serious post looking for answers/support/understanding

Im 29 weeks pregnant and on clonopin and my doctor wants me to start taking zoloft or prozac to help combat the anxiety before i need a clonopin. I do not sleep at night , i lay awake and just have waves of adreneline attack my body. i shake, i sweat, i cry, i get sick, but i cannot sleep.

have anyone else gone through this while pregnant and what did you do?
For those of you with anxiety who "just dealt with it without meds" Thats awesome for you and I envy you but thats not what Im looking for here.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the_dude
by abides on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM

ok listen. 

the dude has severe OCD, and anxiety, and obvious other issues, the dude REFUSED all medications. and is glad... went from full drug regime to zlinch by 10 weeks. zoloft and prozac are both have active lawsuit concerning birth defects 

THE DUDE KNOWS its really hard. she's done it twice. MED FREE PREGNANCY, is the way to be IF you can. i know its HARD really realllllly hard. BUT i have 2 hearty healthly little dudes, i did it for them, and everytime i look an my 2 perfect dudes, i look back and it was all worth it. 

the_dude
by abides on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM

oh and klonopin is one of the dudes drugs, have taken it on and off since 19. please please please try to stay med free. 

Zoloft Lawsuit Filed Over Spina Bifida, PPHN, Other Birth Defects

By Robert J. Boumis

Zoloft birth defect lawsuitKelly Murphy of Pennsylvania is suing Pfizer over birth defects her child allegedly suffered from her use of Zoloft during the pregnancy. 

The Zoloft lawsuit alleges that Pfizer had evidence of the risk of birth defects from the earliest animal trials of their antidepressants. The lawsuit further alleges that despite this evidence, Pfizer continued to market Zoloft to women of childbearing years without adequately warning them of the risk of birth defects associated with this drug.

Zoloft has proven to be a blockbuster drug. By 2005, 27 million prescriptions had been written for Zoloft. By this point, the drug had made over $3.3 billion in revenue for drug manufacturers. 

Read more: Zoloft Lawsuit Filed Over Spina Bifida, PPHN, Other Birth Defects

Mother Sues Pfizer for Son's Death from Zoloft Birth Defects

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest Zoloft Birth Defect Class Action Lawsuit News!

Mother Sues Pfizer for Son's Death from Zoloft Birth Defects

By Amanda Antell

Zoloft birth defect lawsuitMarylin S. Godwin is suing Pfizer on behalf of her son, Kyle A. Godwin, for the birth defects he experienced due to his mother ingesting Zoloft while she was pregnant. The minor plaintiff was born on July 9, 2005 and died May 10, 2007 because of these birth defects. Godwin is suing Pfizer for his wrongful death. 

The plaintiff was prescribed Zoloft at the time of her pregnancy to treat her anxiety and depression, but she nor her physician were aware that Zoloft and other SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) drugs had been known to cause birth defects. At no point in time did Pfizer contact the plaintiff or her physicians about these possible side effects, and have not updated Zoloft or there other SSRI drugs to include birth defects as an explicit possibility. She blames Pfizer for manufacturing, distributing, selling, and marketing a dangerous drug. In her Zoloft lawsuit, she blames the company for negligence, false advertisement and concealing information.

Read more: Mother Sues Pfizer for Son's Death from Zoloft Birth Defects

Mother Sues Pfizer in Zoloft Birth Defect Lawsuit

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest Zoloft Birth Defect Class Action Lawsuit News!

Mother Sues Pfizer in Zoloft Birth Defect Lawsuit

By Amanda Antell

Zoloft birth defect lawsuitNorth Carolina plaintiff Charlene Lawson is suing pharmaceutical giant Pfizer Inc., alleging that their antidepressant drug Zoloft caused her child to be born with birth defects. Her child was born with congenital defects as well as other medical complications.

Lawson is suing Pfizer for negligence, design defect, concealing information, and false advertisement. Her Zoloft lawsuit accuses Pfizer of designing, manufacturing, distributing and selling a dangerous drug and not warning the plaintiff or her physician about the possibility of her child developing birth defects. Allegedly, there was no information available to her or her physician about the risk of Zoloft birth defects.

Read more: Mother Sues Pfizer in Zoloft Birth Defect Lawsuit

Pennsylvania Mother Sues Pfizer over Zoloft Birth Defects

Pennsylvania Mother Sues Pfizer over Zoloft Birth Defects

By Robert J. Boumis

Zoloft birth defect lawsuitDanielle Eugene of Pennsylvania has sued Pfizer over birth defects her child experienced after prenatal exposure to Zoloft. Eugene’s child, identified in court documents only as "B.J.," was born on April 20, 2005. During the pregnancy, Ms. Eugene had taken Zoloft (sertraline hydrochloride) as an antidepressant. Per the complaint, B.J. was born with a number of Zoloft birth defects, including bilateral clubfoot. 

Read more: Pennsylvania Mother Sues Pfizer over Zoloft Birth Defects

Effexor Birth Defect Lawsuits Consolidated into MDL

Effexor Birth Defect Lawsuits Consolidated into MDL

By Amanda Antell

Effexor birth defect MDLThe U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation decided to group nine Pennsylvania lawsuits alleging that Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Inc.'s antidepressant Effexor caused birth defects in unborn children into multidistrict litigation (MDL).

U.S. District Judge Cynthia M. Rufe will be presiding over the new Effexor birth defect MDL, along with parallel lawsuits involving Wyeth, and its parent Pfizer Inc., over their own antidepressant Zoloft. Currently there are nine parallel Effexor lawsuits pending in California, Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio and Pennsylvania federal courts, which allege that the antidepressant caused birth defects in children when their mothers ingested the drug during pregnancy.

Read more: Effexor Birth Defect Lawsuits Consolidated into MDL

NanaMomo
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Zoloft is really bad to take while pregnant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachellaree20
by Rachel on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I have a mood disorder and have bad anxiety.  I took Latuda throughout the pregnancy and my dd turned out just fine.  For panic attacks I took buspar occasionally.  Both meds are class B.  I don't know about zoloft or prozac though, I can't take SSRI's because I don't respond well to them.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM

you know dude. i almost had it. i went down to .25 mg clonopin in the first 8 weeks. was doing great. im not sure whats happened but its gotten worse and worse and exceeded any level of anxiety i have ever felt in my life. it is literally destroying me. i feel weak and horrible and like im possibly going to fuck up my baby and i dont lnow wtf to do.

how did you cope? how dd you sleep? literally no sleep here

Quoting the_dude:

ok listen. 

the dude has severe OCD, and anxiety, and obvious other issues, the dude REFUSED all medications. and is glad... went from full drug regime to zlinch by 10 weeks. zoloft and prozac are both have active lawsuit concerning birth defects 

THE DUDE KNOWS its really hard. she's done it twice. MED FREE PREGNANCY, is the way to be IF you can. i know its HARD really realllllly hard. BUT i have 2 hearty healthly little dudes, i did it for them, and everytime i look an my 2 perfect dudes, i look back and it was all worth it. 

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM

If you have to be on medication during pregnancy, a low dose of a benzodiazepine (Klonopin) is much safer than an anti-depressant (Zoloft/Prozac).

erica19791
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I thought clonopin was a medicine that wasn't safe to take during pregnancy. It can cause birth defects.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM

does buspar work like a xanax or clonpin?

enevr heard of latuda

Quoting rachellaree20:

I have a mood disorder and have bad anxiety.  I took Latuda throughout the pregnancy and my dd turned out just fine.  For panic attacks I took buspar occasionally.  Both meds are class B.  I don't know about zoloft or prozac though, I can't take SSRI's because I don't respond well to them.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM

i havent taken the SSRI yet. They want me too but Im too afraid of the repercussions.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

If you have to be on medication during pregnancy, a low dose of a benzodiazepine (Klonopin) is much safer than an anti-depressant (Zoloft/Prozac).

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I wouldn't. You have the right to refuse medication. I'd start seeing a therapist if you aren't already to help with your anxiety.

Quoting Anonymous:

i havent taken the SSRI yet. They want me too but Im too afraid of the repercussions.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)