Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving and emloyment question...*Edit New Question*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I was having a hard time financially and I had to move in with a family member in another state. I am extremely homesick and lonely. I am looking for advice. I want to start saving up to move back home but I will need to get a job first. Can I get hired from another state? Will they give me time to give my employer notice and get ready to move back home? I know that some people get jobs before they move but I don't exactly know how that works. I am working right now but I just need to go back home. My family and friends are there and I am so lonely here. I know I will have a place to stay, I just need employment. Can anyone give me advice please?

Edit

Now I am facing another problem that I need help with. I am only 24 and I am not old enough to rent a car. Plus, it is expensive and I am not making a lot of money so I will not be able to put back much. I could take a bus but I have two dogs, two guinea pigs, two fish, and a plant, not to mention my luggage to take back with me. My sister was going to help pay for a rental car and she was going to drive but she just got a job so she won't be able to. I just want to go home and I don't know if I am going to be able to! Help me please!

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Depends on the company. Even right out of college my husband had employers fly him out for interviews. He never got the job but has been flown out a few times over the years. I'd look at companies websites where you want to move to and apply.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Yes, it's possible to get hired from another state, and you can negotiate your start date at the new job so you have time to give your employer notice. But I'm assuming you're not looking for something minimum wage or part-time. In those situations you have less flexibility.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:29 PM
My husband got a job before we moved. He used my bils address in the town we wanted to move to because, yeah, it's hard to get a job in a place you don't live. I think it just depends on the job you get as far as them allowing you time goes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
I used my cousins address and applied to where she work. I was in cali she was in OK.. I drove there after they contacted me for an interview, and I got the job.

So yes u can get employ even if ur in another state. Since u have family there already just use ur familys address. Or even use ur sisters for now and if they contact u, tell them ur moving.

Good luck. U don't have to be 24 to rent a car... u have to be 24 or 25 to rent a van or bigger vehicle.. I believe u can rent as long as u have a driver's liscense and possibly car insurance... but check around for rental car company and see what the requirements r
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

My niece is 22 and they told her she had to be 25.

Quoting Anonymous:

I used my cousins address and applied to where she work. I was in cali she was in OK.. I drove there after they contacted me for an interview, and I got the job.

So yes u can get employ even if ur in another state. Since u have family there already just use ur familys address. Or even use ur sisters for now and if they contact u, tell them ur moving.

Good luck. U don't have to be 24 to rent a car... u have to be 24 or 25 to rent a van or bigger vehicle.. I believe u can rent as long as u have a driver's liscense and possibly car insurance... but check around for rental car company and see what the requirements r

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I have no idea. when me and my husband moved to a new state 2 years ago, we just packed up and moved with no job lined up. we had enough in savings tho to last us quite a few months. luckily we both found full time jobs within 3 weeks. ideally you should have a job before you move, but we found it easier to just wait till we moved before looking for work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM
i guess it depends where u live and who ur renting from..hertzn advantage, avisn budgetn dollarn enterprise . national said they rent to 21 yrs old n up but i guess its certian locations only. sorry

Quoting Anonymous:

My niece is 22 and they told her she had to be 25.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)